Forum home Problem solving

Cat Deterrant

susiebowersusiebower Teignmouth, DevonPosts: 48
Hello everybody - I'm a new member, and a newbie gardener. The man across the road has five cats, and they've taken to using my garden as a takeaway (killing sparrows) and a toilet. I've tried sprinkling citrus peelings where they come in, with no success. I've just ordered one of those sonic cat scarers. Has anyone used these, and have they solved the problem? And if they don't, any other suggestions? Thank you! :) 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,600
    I tried a sonic cat scarer placed to stop mine form crossing the road.  Never worked.

I'm told the one the RSPB sells is good and failing that a Water Scarecrow if you can find one but you need to attach it to an outside tap.  It has a sensor and sprays the cat/fox/badger/heron when they get in range.  They scarper.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • susiebowersusiebower Teignmouth, DevonPosts: 48
    Thanks, Obelixx. I've ordered a pair from Amazon with loads of good reviews. I don't know if a Water Scarecrow would deter these cats. They are very bold.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,600
    Yes it would.  They hate being soaked.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    The drawback of them is that they freeze, so they're no use for large parts of the year if you're in a colder area. I can't use mine from around October until later April . 
    You're wasting your time using anything else IMO - all the jaggy bits of greenery, lemon or orange peel etc etc. 

I've also tried the recommended sonic device another poster suggested - the Voss 2000. I still get them coming in, but I'll have to give it much longer to see how good it is. I've had it over winter though.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks, Fairygirl. :) I'm hoping that either one or two devices, pointed directly at the spot they come in, might do the trick. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,637
    Another £1 for me
    Devon.
  • MolamolaMolamola BelgiumPosts: 97
    A water scarecrow worked for us - we targeted the bed that the cat (or cats) liked to visit.  We heard a kerfuffle one evening when it "made friends" with our visitor who promptly scarpered, and have not found any new deposits in the bed since.  Fortunately for us all the neighbourhood cats seem to be kept indoors during winter, so we only need it in summer. 

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,508
    We have tried so many things and the cats just keep coming.
    However the main next door one died last year and things have been better.
    We have foxes in our orchard and garden and so don't know why we still have cats and rabbits!
    Thanks, Molamola and bertrand-mabel. :)  I think a water scarecrow might be too tricky in my garden as the cats come in right at the bottom. Glad it worked for you, though! I think cats are very habitual creatures, so even foxes may not put them off visiting!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    The other problem with the scarecrow is that you need a length of hose, and that can be difficult in a big garden, and/or unattractive. Mine is buried under the gravel paths etc, but if you had a lawn, you'd need to put it under edging, or bury it in a border if there was one adjacent. 
    We have foxes here - in and out gardens night and day, and it's never put them off.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....