Forum home Problem solving

East Facing Garden - will it get any sun?

Hi there, 

I am hoping all you lovely people can help either put my mind at rest or give me some advice. 

I am planning to buy a property and it has an east facing garden. My main concern is that it wont get any sun from the afternoon onwards. I have children, would like to be able to sit there in the evenings and also have bbqs in the afternoons. 

Thos with east facing gardens when does the sun completely disappear from your garden? 

• zugeniezugenie Posts: 465
    I would think lots of sun morning until the sun goes behind the house, but that could be 3 or 4pm in the summer- from memory of waiting for the sun to cast a shadow on the paths so I could take my dog to the loo!
  • Thank you! I wouldnt mind if it kept the sun until atleast 3PM so that I could spend the first half of the day in there. Just worried incase it loses sun from mid morning onwards.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,532
    edited 16 January
    It depends on the height of the house relative to the length of the garden and what other obstructions there are around (other houses, large trees, etc). If the house is as tall (or taller) as the garden is long and if there are other houses on either side, it will probably be in shade from around midday. If the house is half as high as the garden is long, you'll probably have sunshine at the far end until mid afternoon or so.

If you're in Edinburgh or Iceland or Sicily, it'll be different

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 274
    Our garden is northeast-facing so arguably even worse. But it's a long garden (19 meters), and there is no other obstruction from the southwest except our own house (with loft conversion, neighbour doesn't have one so that helps). In the summer at least half of the garden would be in full sun until mid-afternoon. So it really depends on how long the garden is vs how tall the obstruction (if any) is from southwest direction.