Forum home Plants

Sorbus Glebdoick Spire width?

I’ve impulse-ordered a young Sorbus Glendoick Spire, but I’ve read varying accounts of their ‘final’ width - anywhere from 1m to 3m. Does anyone have any first-hand info so that I know how much clearance I need to leave from the fence? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,186
    As with any tree, your conditions will dictate the rate of growth, and the final height and spread.  :)
    Most rowans will grow to clear a 6 foot fence, with the canopy spreading above it, so it isn't necessarily a huge problem, unless you're worried about it hanging over into another garden, and the problems that can arise from that. 
    The main problem is that fences can often be a bit of a rain shadow, depending on the orientation, and rowans need lots of water, especially when establishing.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you for your help @Fairygirl .
    The garden slopes down towards the fence line so it tends to be quite damp there, but I will make sure to keep it well watered if we have a dry spell. 
    In general, is there a recommended distance from the fence for standard trees? Is 40cm too close for the trunk to develop? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,186
    For a Sorbus, I wouldn't worry about planting at that distance as long as the soil and climate etc is suitable.  :)
    The common ones will happily grow right against fences or walls, or even in walls in wet areas. I have one which is in a space between the pavement and my boundary fence. The space is around a foot at best, but planting something that's been cultivated in a pot is always slightly different from one that's self seeded into a position, so extra care and attention are needed  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....