Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing Butternut Squash Vertically

DogmumDogmum DerbyshirePosts: 31
Hi All, this will be my first year growing butternut squash and I have a couple of questions.
1) I saw Monty grew his squash vertically last year and I’d like to do the same but does anybody have any thoughts on how to create the support and how tall I ought to make it?
2) The bed they are going in is 1 x 2 M and I’m thinking of maybe 3 plants. Any thoughts on what else I could grow in that bed, either under or between?  I’m quite keen on giving gherkins a go and wasn’t sure if they would be ok in the same bed as the squash.

I’ve got a separate bed that I’m planning on growing sweetcorn in, so would the gherkins do better with them?

any thoughts welcome.
Tomorrow is another day

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,228
    edited 15 January
    We grew some pumpkins on the top of a compost heap one year next to the very old bramley tree. They grew vertically themselves up the trunk and into the branches.
    We were able to support the pumpkins in net shopping bags but then we could tie the bags onto the branches. Had to remove one as it was hanging over the path and we were worried that it was becoming so big and heavy it would fall on somebody.
    We have also sown cornichons (gerkins) but in our polytunnel. We had a huge harvest and much was pickled for later in the year or the next. Don't let them get too big. Growing them with sweetcorn maybe better as they would have more to climb up.