Forum home The potting shed

WORDLE WANDERINGS

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,163
    I’ve tried both Wordle and Absurdle.

Wordle I always get in four, for some reason.

Absurdle, both times I got in five.

I still don’t quite understand the way that Absurdle works.

Is the answer dependent on which letters the player chooses? So, for example, if I begin with “great” and Mr P begins with “binds” we will each finish with a different answer?

Absurdle, in that case, seems to be a bit of a lonely game. No encouragement can be offered to a struggling partner.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,532
    Seems that way, Pansyface:

’ Absurdle gives the impression of picking a single secret word, but instead what it actually does is consider the entire list of all possible secret words which conform to your guesses so far. Each time you guess, Absurdle prunes its internal list as little as possible, attempting to intentionally prolong the game as much as possible.’

—-

Wordle 210 4/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
    🟨⬛🟨⬛🟨
    🟨⬛🟨🟨⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Absurdle 5/∞

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
    🟨🟩🟨🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 536
    edited 15 January
    @pansyface - re absurdle yes, is an individual game - even starting with the same word there is a possibility that the programming might lead two users down a different path.

edit to add - todays wordle in 3
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,425
    Yes 3 for me in the Wordle one.
    I'm not very keen on the Absurdle game. It's good that you can do it more than once, but I seem to end up with lots of words ending in Y, often with the 2nd letter being I.
    What's more annoying is that, just now , I tried the word HIPPY, and apparently that wasn't a word, so I carried on until I couldn't see how anything else was possible, so I tried HIPPY again and that was it. Totally weird!
    I'm even more annoyed that a comment on another thread meant that @pansyface possibly felt the need to start this thread, good though it is. I'm holding back from responding to the comment because I'd get banned....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,163
    Oooh, I missed that, fairy😯
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,483
    Wordle 210 4/6

⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 14,166
    edited 15 January
    @Fairygirl - yes, that's why I suggested starting with a word like YEARS - to get the R and the Y out of the way. Otherwise you tend get words ending in Y or - ER.  It makes it more of an interesting puzzle by the end.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,425
    I'll certainly try that @Fire. Only just getting the hang of it!
    Although I do often start with something like SMEAR or SMART as it gets some of the most popular letters ruled in or out. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire LondonPosts: 14,166
    edited 15 January
     Leaving the Y in means the odds of getting a word ending in Y are much higher. Which gets boring.

- -
    I got today's Wordle in three too, which is odd, given that with the three letters I had to include could have made dozens of words. The creator says it's created by an algorhythm and he doesn't know the next word coming. We shouldn't be able to work out any 'likelihood'  of what the next word should be as the choices are entirely random. Apparently. So it's just fluke that it's a common word and not an adjective to describe a  a 4th-century Frankish tribe living near the River IJssel. The odds should be the same.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,458
    My Wordle of the day:
    Wordle 210 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).