Forum home Problem solving

Old tree stump.

BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,166
I've just removed a chunk of tree stump (a first for me :) ). The above ground (3-4 inches) remains came away in shards with an equal amount of below ground wood. Below that is a soggy, pulpy mess which I've dug out to about 8-9 inches below ground.

Firstly, presumably the mushy pulp remains are 'normal' and not a sign of any disease/issue?

Secondly, I now have a hole partially lined at the bottom with the woody pulp. I may plant a few spring bulbs for 2023 in that area next autumn. In the meantime, what would I be best filling the hole with for the health of the soil/tree remains?

Lastly, am I overthinking this?  :D 

Here's a photo but it adds little value. I can barely make out what I'm talking about :D 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,229
    " Lastly, am I overthinking this? "

Yes  :D
    You could just shove some compost/soil/leaf mould/manure etc in the hole. In other words - anything. It should all rot down, and you'd have a decent enough spot for your bulbs or other plants.
    Assuming there's nothing dodgy in the trunk of course. I think most stumps probably look a bit rough, but I've never dug one out that's been partially rotted. I've only taken out dead trees with the stumps still looking fairly solid. 
    You could always sow a few annuals if you have some seed and see how they do. That might give you an idea of how good the soil is. Or someone else with better 'stump removal knowledge' might be able to advise   ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,860
    I have a similar situation.
    I had an enormous eucalyptus felled many years ago. The remaining  stump is almost 5ft across and has at long last rotted away almost completely and is a mushy mess like yours.
    I'm going to remove as much as I can then refill with soil from other parts of the garden.
    Topsoil would be ideal if you can't steal some from elsewhere in your garden.
    If you just fill it with compost it'll settle and rot and you'll have a hole again in a couple of years
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,166
    edited 14 January
    Thanks both.

I think that I knew the answer to that bit @Fairygirl and that you'd likely be the one to confirm :D 

As the hole is right next to my dalek @Pete.8 I'll scoop out a bit more of the gunk and fill it with home-made compost for now.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,229
    Yes - you'll need to keep topping it up as the stump rots down. If you had any bits of turf kicking about, they'd be ideal. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....