Forum home The potting shed

Plant Buying 2022

UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 693
Has anyone been tempted to buy plants this year yet despite the year only being 13 days old? Has anyone plans to buy new plants this year?

Forgive me for I have sinned already. I placed an order this afternoon for,
Erysimum apricot twist
Nemesia denticulata confetti
Rudbeckia enchanted flame
Aconitum stainless steel
Lathyrus white pearl
And that's just the start of it. 

• I bought a Saccococca on Weds in B&Q when I went in for paint charts. Not sure what one but the label said 6' which will be great in my front garden.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,060
    A New Dawn rose
    Corsian hellebores for a hedgeline
    Anna's Red hellebore for presents

enough for me already 🙄
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,229
    Just bulbs for future, and some dahlias. I don't really have much room for any more large plants or shrubs.
    A few clematis possibly, but the ones I want haven't been in stock for a while, so it's a waiting game. 
    I'm also waiting for an Amelanchier to come back into stock from a nursery. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,613
    I have already ordered some shrubby salvias from Middletons for delivery in Spring. Just putting together an order for Woolmans this weekend. 
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 67
    edited 14 January
    I'm starting my garden from scratch. Planning to plant the outline and form of the garden first, with a watchful eye on the planting months (+£s).

So far I've received and healed in 5 climbing/rambling roses (healed in 'cos I'm waiting on compost being delivered, not had a chance to make any yet), the roses are Bethsheba, Strawberry Hill, Wollerton Old Hall, Malvern Hills, and Super Fairy. 

A rhubarb crown, Victoria, was ordered last night.... best get the rhubarb up and growing, priorities! 
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,060

So far I've received and healed in 5 climbing/rambling roses (healed in 'cos I'm waiting on compost being delivered, not had a chance to make any yet), the roses are Bethsheba, Strawberry Hill, Wollerton Old Hall, Malvern Hills, and Super Fairy.

Wow, this sounds like a great combination.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 693
    I've just been looking at Middletons and they have some gorgeous salvias so thank you for mentioning them. I planned on buying 2 or 3 and didn't know what to try but plenty of choices there.  
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,454
    I bought 3 new yellow roses yesterday at the local plant nursery. They are good strong plants, just been dug up and put in pots and they were on special offer, only 12€ for a shrub rose, 20€ for a climber. Graham Thomas, Golden Celebration and Happiness.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • GearóidGearóid EnglandPosts: 67
    Nothing yet, although I am planning to get a white currant (already have a spot marked with a stick) and a yellow hosta.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,613
    Middletons have a lovely selection @Uff :)
    Another good salvia supplier is Norfolk Herbs, but theirs aren't usually available until at least April.
    https://www.norfolkherbs.co.uk/plant-type/salvias/
    You can ask to be notified when any varieties you're interested in are back in stock. They are very good at doing that, but you have to be quick, they sell out fast.