Forum home Plants

Best flowers for scent

Penny_ForthemPenny_Forthem North WalesPosts: 46
We grew lots of dianthus last summer and enjoyed their magnificent perfume on the deck of a fine evening. Night scented stock is also a must, but it didn't do so well last year. We plant sweet peas near the top of the garden.
Surely I must be missing a few summer scents to grow from seed.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,964
    Nicotiana is good in an evening
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,229
    Even in the heat we had last summer, I still couldn't smell the dianthus unless I had my nose in them! 
    I don't have a very good sense of smell at all - even sweet peas only smell strong if I pick them and have them in the house. 

Nicotiana [tobacco plant]  is always touted as being good - especially if you use your garden in the evening, which is when they're out.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• VictorMeldrewVictorMeldrew Peak District edge, CheshirePosts: 168
    Winter Honeysuckle simply because it's belting out gorgeous scent at a time when you're not expecting it but you really need it.
    Every now and then I like to do as I'm told, just to confuse people
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,379
    Winter flowering Daphne
    eg  Daphne bholua../Daphne Jacqueline Postill.   etc etc

https://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&sort=date-taken-desc&text=daphne bholua&view_all=1
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 693
    Nicotiana Sylvestris is a lovely smell in the evening, grows tall though.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,030
     Zaluzianskya ovata (night scented phlox) is lovely.

Narcissus poeticus v. recurvus (pheasant eye) have the hyacinth type scent - they flower quite late, usually in May here.

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,254
    Any of the Sarcococcas.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,203
    My Viburnum bodantense is blooming and smelling gorgeous at the moment - especially when I cut a sprig for the house. (But I have the sarcococca at the moment).
    I love the smell of lily of the valley but I have trouble growing them here.
    But sweet peas run a close second and I loved having bunches and bunches of them in the house last summer - and as I walked past them on the frame in the garden.
    Lilies of course really chuck out a powerful scent - too strong for the house but lovely in the garden.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,229
    I think the OP wanted summer flowering plants to grow from seed  :)
    I took that to mean annuals.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,217
    @Silver surfer can't agree more about the Daphne.
    Ours is still young, planted last year with 3 flower clusters.
    Now it is covered and the fragrance is wonderful.
    Also those who mentioned sarcococca....brilliant winter scented plants and when you brush against them then the scent is great.
    Our winter honeysuckle is another that brings a wonderful scent when small pieces are brought indoors.