Forum home Problem solving

Whats likely to die in frost?

tuffnelljohntuffnelljohn DartmoorPosts: 179
Hi all,

Now we've had a few frosts Im thinking whether I should protect any plants. Ive taken a few photos of plants in tubs. Do you think any of these will be killed-off by frosts?

Thanks!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,455
    probably none of them
    Devon.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 879
    I have many of those and most have survived through worse winters than this one. 

If these pictures are after the frosts you’ve already had I think you’ll be fine. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,382
    edited 13 January
    You'd really need to list the names/varieties. There's too many photos.

Having said that - Camellias are plenty hardy enough, and would only need protection if you live much further north than me, or at altitude in some areas, and have frosts of below minus 10 regularly.
    Those red variegated Hebes aren't as tough as the plain varieties, but again - unless you're getting regular temps of around minus five or six for many days, they'd be fine. They do more badly in cold wet conditions than on drier frosty ones.
    That goes for lots of plants. Those sempervivums for example, and most Euonymous, although some struggle more than others. 
    The Callicarpa should be fine.
    Anything potted is more at risk if there's a heavy freeze after wet conditions, due to risk of root damage, Again - other factors come into it - the location of the plants, their maturity, and what else is around them for protection - walls etc. You would bubble wrap or fleece the pots if that was the case, not the plant. A lot depends on the pot too, and what it's made from.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 19,966
    Time will tell
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • tuffnelljohntuffnelljohn DartmoorPosts: 179
    OK, thanks all! I think Ill move some of the pots closer to walls, and those sempervivums perhaps in my storm porch.  :) 
    Those sempervivumns will be fine. Mine grow in almost pure grit, but it's wet they don't like. I just tip mine up at an angle to help keep it draining off. 

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,547
    Sempervivums will put up with pretty much anything except getting soggy.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    Yes the bog standard sempervivums will cope with well below zero no problem.   Regularly below minus 5 here, and below minus 10 at times. It's the amount of wet stuff that sees them off, especially if they don't have gritty soil to grow in, and tipping them up helps.
    Freezing after wet [which we get a lot of too] can be a problem, but they produce so many off shoots that you hardly notice any casualties.

I use them in the little green roofs on the bird cages too.  :)