Forum home Problem solving

Insect infestations in 2021

Last year my garden was infested with all sorts of insects. It began in the spring with whitefly on practically all my plants. Then leaf cutter insects began eating a wide range of my perennials. My mature plum tree was badly affected by whitefly resulting in distorted leaves and damaged fruit. Ultimately it appeared as if the leaves of all my plants were affected in some way. Is there anything I can do to prevent a repeat of this devastation this year?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,257
    One possible cause (depending on where you are) is drought weakening your trees and shrubs, which makes them more susceptible to pests and diseases.  Last year, none of my fruit trees did as well as usual because of the weird weather patterns.  Hanging a bird feeder in or near the plum tree will help, as the tits and sparrows will clean-up aphids while they wait their turn on the feeder.  Unfortunately, there is no simple answer or treatment other than trying to nudge nature in the direction you want.  BTW, leaf cutter bees are a sign that your garden has a healthy wildlife population.  Most folk here would love them in their garden, I would think. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,380
    Indeed @BobTheGardener. Send those leaf cutter bees my way please  :)

Gardening sends challenges every year, and many of those involve climate and weather patterns. Achieving the best balance takes time and some thought. Inviting predators in to help with aphid populations is certainly an easy one, but nothing is ever perfect, and every year there can be an imbalance, although often it's temporary.

Understanding the needs of the plants - regardless of what they are, and recognising the causes of any damage or infestation can take time and experience, but these problems are usually short lived and don't tend to happen year on year, as long as that understanding is there.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....