Forum home Problem solving

Strawberry Plant Leaves Withering?

Hi! I have 3 strawberry plants; the mother plant and two that came from runners. Recently the leaves of the runner plants started looking bad, little bits keep crumbling off of them like they're almost disintegrating. The other plant had these but I cut the bad leaves off and it's been fine since. This plant however is getting it pretty bad (pictures attached). Anyone know what this may be? It's in the exact same conditions as the other two and they've been fine. All getting the same amount of water and sun. It sort of looks like something's eating them but I can't find a culprit.

I hope it's something I can fix. Anyway, if anyone knows the cause I'd be thankful for your help.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,380
    They should really be outside  :)
    Strawberries are hardy. It's perfectly normal for them to have dead/damaged foliage through winter, and you would just take that off. They'll produce new foliage. I often just leave them until they're starting into proper spring growth when they get a general tidy up and a feed etc. 

Those may well be getting fried by sun as they're next to a window. Even at this time of year, sun through glass can be too much for plants.  Much harder to keep them healthy in that sort of location.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks! I took them in because they were small and the stormy cold weather was knocking other plants over. I've been babying them a little lol. Perhaps too much. I'll take the damaged bits off and put them back outside. Thanks for the advice! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,380
    I leave all strawberries outdoors - even new runners. You can just pop them somewhere that's sheltered for now - I often put them in among other shrubs and plants. That's all the protection they need - even in severe winters  :)

I actually moved some round to the front of the house yesterday, tucked against the hedgehog house. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....