Forum home Problem solving

Impatiens new guinea not overwintering well

msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 233
Hi all, my first year growing outdoor plants and trying to overwinter a pot of Impatiens New Guinea that performed very well last year. It's not looking very happy at the moment, with leaves all languishing. I tried watering it and it perked up a bit but then went back to the same status within a few days. Admittedly I didn't cut it down when I moved it indoors as it was still flowering. And it's sitting in a southwest facing room that gets some sun light but not a lot, and the room is not heated most of the day. 

Is there any way I can help it please? I did take some cuttings back in the days... Thanks!

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,163
    @BenCotto is good at over wintering annuals.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,168
    I'd be very surprised if you could over-winter an Impatiens New Guinea. :o
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,966
    I'd try rooting some cuttings in water and give them a bit more light. You have nothing to lose. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 233
    Thanks all! Yes I was reading that lots of people don't bother overwintering them but it seems possible, so I just got myself the challenge to see what happens  :D

Also took some cuttings as a back up in autumn already and they seem to be doing ok so far.

For now I've moved it to a warmer room and see if it helps.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,493
    They like warmth and quite a lot of water.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    They like warmth and quite a lot of water.
    That could explain the wilting. Thank you!
    Had to bin my impatiens new guinea today.  :( Was trying to tidy it up a bit but a stem easily came off with yellowish colour in the middle, then more stems, even going to the base... think it's stem rot but not sure why. The roots seemed fine, and the compost deeper down is quite dry.