Forum home Fruit & veg

Quadgrow watering system?

Anyone use Quadgrow system with any success?

I'm thinking of getting a set of 8 for growing tomatoes, the self watering feature is useful when on holiday. Are they worth having, or are there better systems?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,860
    I have no experience of them but searching on the site, there are a few threads that may be worth a look - and hopefully you'll get some replies
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/search?Search=Quadgrow
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,260
    edited 12 January
    I’m very pleased with mine. The water reservoir system means that you only need water once a week - maybe every five days in the height of summer - and the constant supply means I have never experienced blossom end rot and fewer issues with splitting. If you’re on holiday for a longer period of time there is a secondary reservoir system but I just ask the neighbour to come round: it’s a pretty minor chore just to do it every six or so days.

I would advise getting the mulch caps, not so much for their mulching function but because they contain holes for supporting two canes per pot. I use the back cane for the primary stem and grow a second shoot up the front cane. Be careful not to let your tomatoes grow too big as you pot them on or you won’t be able to squeeze them through the mulch cap hole.

In the photo above, the woman has her hand on the mulch cap, the hole for the cane being quite visible. Look carefully and you’ll see the second cane hole below in the body of the Quadgrow.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,049
    Thanks BenCotto

Is their water butt necessary or could I use my own water butt instead?
    Sorry, I cannot answer that as I have not investigated extending the watering capacity of the system.
  • TheVanguardTheVanguard Posts: 104
    edited 12 January
    I too have this, although I split mine into two, twos rather than one four..hope that make sense! 

The watering time quoted by Bencotto seems about right to me…I would say you don’t need the water butt unless you want to leave them unattended for longer periods.

I don’t have the mulch caps, I use one of those spiral supports pushed into the pot and then supported with string/wire to the green house roof.

I found it very easy to use as an amateur! Bit pricey tho, but they seem sturdy enough for many years use so hopefully over the long term they will pay their way. 
    edited 12 January
    Is it just a case of lifting the little cover off to check water level, or can you see the level without doing that?
    edited 12 January
    A criticism of the Quadgrow is that there is no visible water gauge. I lift the watering flap; it’s easy and effective.
    Thanks, I have ordered the Quadgrow x 8 planters, along with the Vitopod heated propagator from Greenhouse Sensation, though I don't usually like ordering from websites that don't display a contact address.

• TheVanguardTheVanguard Posts: 104
    I also have a Vitopod, for me it’s invaluable this time of year. Not sure if you got the lights? I swapped out the Florescent lights in favour of LED

The light stand uses suckers and is a bit useless, but if using the fluorescent tubes they will melt through the lid if left in contact.

I’ve only ordered a few times from greenhouse sensation, but I’ve always found them to be very good. 

A thumbs up for Greenhouse Sensation from me as well. I also agree with @TheVanguard about the light stand suckers.