Forum home Plants

Best hori hori knife?

mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 188
I have been reading about these and seeing a couple of posts here. It sounds lie 'full tang' is the way to go but I have small hands and want something not too heavy. I've obviously googled 'best horo hori' but my findings are inconclusive. What are views of all you knowledgeable people?

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 319
    I have  a Niwaki hori hori @mandyroberts99 but (shamefully!), I hardly ever use it. It has a slightly intimidating look to it and I prefer a traditional hand trowel or long handled trowel for weeding. (They both have more comfortable handles.) I also have an old steel kitchen knife for getting at long rooted weeds in the lawn. If you have a comfortable trowel or knife which suits you, why change? It's really down to personal choice I think.
  • mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 188
    I have  a Niwaki hori hori @mandyroberts99 but (shamefully!), I hardly ever use it. It has a slightly intimidating look to it and I prefer a traditional hand trowel or long handled trowel for weeding. (They both have more comfortable handles.) I also have an old steel kitchen knife for getting at long rooted weeds in the lawn. If you have a comfortable trowel or knife which suits you, why change? It's really down to personal choice I think.
    Good point - I will try an old long blade knife first

• newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,023
    edited 11 January
    I use this one for weeds. 

https://www.worldofwolf.co.uk/categories/multi-change-tools/page=2/product/wolf-garten-multi-change-weeding-knife/KSM~KSM

I use it like hand tool with small handle and if I want to dig a deep weed root in very hard clay I put a long handle and use my boots to push it in ground. 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,547
    I have small-to-medium hands and find my Niwaki hori-hori very comfortable and easy to use. I must admit I hadn't actually thought about whether it's comfortable or not until now, which I guess must mean it is! I use it all the time, absolutely love it. To start with I thought I might have made a mistake as I couldn't really see why I'd use it over anything else, but then I found I was using it more and more in preference to other tools and now it's my only 'essential' hand tool 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 778
    Just looked at how much they are, £32  :o Crikey I'd need a bit more convincing before parting with that amount.
    Are they legal, they look lethal?
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,284
    You’re not tempted by this one then, @uff? It was £759 but unfortunately it looks like it has now been sold

https://www.niwaki.com/hand-forged-damascus-hori-hori/?fbclid=IwAR2xjTzz3TubwVQe_HmP9SQxoIa0VvBWZmi_oUpTwH_LNw-QOwOW8V6v934
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,966
    I find them a bit scary too but then I'm a bit wary of my new 
    Secateurs as I tend to steady twigs with my free hand and I'd like to keep all of my fingers if possible.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 778
    Eee no BenCotto. My Derbyshire roots and acquired Scottish carefulness precludes me from spending even 32 quid. 
    Which secateurs have you bought B3?
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,547
    edited 11 January
    I'm the same, but my hori-hori was a gift. It's terrifying to look at but so good to use.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,974
    Love mine (Niwaki)…..I promise, you’ll never look back.  All my other hand tools have gone into retirement.

I volunteer at a well known garden open to the public ……it was they who introduced me to the wonders of a Hori Hori……..it is their go to tool for everything 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.