Forum home Plants

Nandina suggestions please

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 722
Could anyone recommend a tall Nandina please? I only have the short ones, which are beautiful. When I have tried to research taller varieties I can not find the ones that I have seen growing in other peoples gardens (approx 2 metres) many thanks.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,395
    edited 11 January
    Nandina domestica is the tallest...only 1m -1.5m tall. It is the only member of the monotypic genus.

Cultivar Nandina domestica Richmond is same height....no taller...it is self fertile.

Quote wiki...
    "Nandina domestica commonly known as nandina, heavenly bamboo or sacred bamboo, is a species of flowering plant in the family Berberidaceae, native to eastern Asia from the Himalayas to Japan. It is the only member of the monotypic genus Nandina. It is widely grown in gardens as an ornamental plant with a number of cultivars that display bright-red fall foliage in the cool months, and attractive new foliage growth in spring. Although a popular ornamental shrub, the berries are toxic to birds,especially towards the end of the winter when other food sources become scarce"

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/11327/nandina-domestica/details

Pics below taken at RHS Wisley.

There are several dwarf cultivars...Fire Power, Lemon -Lime, Woods dwarf etc,etc.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 62
    I had this in my last garden, it’s very pretty, 1.5m rather than 2m though!
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/241673/nandina-domestica-gulf-stream/details
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,395
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,172
    Yep you just want the straight species. They are out there, just have a look around your local nurseries. I while back I came across some that were already about 2m in height, a bit leggy looking, but a bargain for the size.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 722
    Thankyou @zugenie and @Loxley for you replies, they are most helpful. Also thanks to @Silver surfer that looks very interesting. I love the look of these but am now a bit wary having read that they can be poisonous to birds, does anyone know if this is the case? That would be a deal breaker for me as I love my birds.  :/ tia
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,172
    I wouldn't worry about it. It only seems to apply to Cedar Waxwings, which aren't present in the UK, and even then, only when the Nandina is the only remaining food source present (other berries are taken in preference).

Does Nandina Kill Birds? | Southern Living
    According to posts repeatedly shared across social media, nandina berries poison birds. As far as I can tell, most or all of these reports stem from a single incident that occurred in Thomas County, Georgia in April 2009. Somebody found a bunch of dead cedar waxwings in their yards. Upon examination, the deceased birds were stuffed to the gills with nandina berries.
    Why Nandina Berries and Certain Birds Don't Mix (treehugger.com)
    Nandina berries actually have a low toxicity, but they can be lethal to cedar waxwings specifically because their feeding habits differ dramatically from that of other birds, said Rhiannon Crain, project leader for the Habitat Network with The Nature Conservancy and Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

Cedar waxwings, which travel in flocks, will fly into a berry-producing bush or tree and strip the branches of every piece of fruit. That can have negative consequences for them even when the plant isn't a nandina.

There are no documented avian deaths directly linked to nandina consumption other than cedar waxwings.