Forum home Problem solving

Top soil or compost?

I have a few dips to fill where stumps have been removed, I wasn’t sure if it was better to use top soil or compost, or if it was much of muchness? So far as I can tell the soil is quite loam-y and dark, it’s not at all compacted.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,455
    I'd use whatever you have to hand
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,380
    Compost just breaks down after a period of time, soil doesn't. 
    Rotted manure is another alternative. Or fresh, if you don't need to plant any time soon.[ ie within 6 months or so]
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• zugeniezugenie Posts: 58
    Hostafan1 said:
    I'd use whatever you have to hand
    Unusually for me, I have nothing to hand!!
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 58
    Fairygirl said:
    Compost just breaks down after a period of time, soil doesn't. 
    Rotted manure is another alternative. Or fresh, if you don't need to plant any time soon.[ ie within 6 months or so]
    Thank you Fairygirl, I’ll get some top soil then, I’ll be mulching with compost/well rotted manure at some point anyway!
  • garrythegardenergarrythegardener Sheridan, Wyoming, USAPosts: 12
    Compost can dry out quite quickly, so mixing it with topsoil is a great way to provide balanced bedding for plants and flowers. You get the best of both worlds with a mixture since topsoil will offer a robust home for roots with plenty of water, while compost will provide a boost of nutrients.
    plantgrower
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,874
    @garrythegardener ... when cutting and pasting slabs of text from other websites, in order not to infringe Copyright law you need to provide a link to your source  ... not to do so is in breach of the Terms & Conditions of this website (see foot of page).

Here you are ... this is where you took your quote from

https://www.hintonswaste.co.uk/news/topsoil-vs-compost-what-should-you-use/

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Wow, great research @Dovefromabove I'm not pasting the whole article here instead I'm pasting the text which is relevant to the query. 
    plantgrower
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,874
    edited 12 January
    Wow, great research @Dovefromabove I'm not pasting the whole article here instead I'm pasting the text which is relevant to the query. 
    Exactly ... you have to show and acknowledge your source or you are breaking Copyright  law.  The work belongs to the author/publisher. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Can I modify the content and add some lines which help other members to clear their doubts. So that I don't have to add the source link?
    plantgrower
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 778
    Isn't that cheating somewhat garrythegardener?