Forum home Wildlife gardening

New hedging

Hello
I was after a bit of advice please. I'm looking to buy some wildlife friendly native hedge plants. My soil is very gravelly and its clay soil. Would I be best to add compost deep into the soil before buying the plants or will using rootgrow on its own do the same thing? Thank you 😊 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,231
    If the gravel is small and mixed with the clay , that'll be fine. A bit of basic prep for the site is all that hedging needs.  :)
    I've never used anything for hedging when planting it, other than a bit of compost and usually some BF&B, especially if the site's less than perfect which was the case for two of my hedges. Under mature trees, footings from adjacent pavements etc. 
    Rotted manure is useful. If the site's inclined to be dry,  it helps retain moisture. If it's sticky clay, it helps open it up. You can mulch after planting and at regular intervals too, which all helps with the soil structure.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,528
    Unless your soil is heavy claggy clay I think you'll be fine.
    Rootgrow promotes the growth of plant-friendly fungi. The same fungi will in time appear naturally. Rootgrow just gives your plants a head start.

If you do have heavy clay then digging-in composted bark is the best answer or organic matter such as manure as Fairygirl says above.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,212
    Don't use FBB or chicken manure if you have foxes around! They will dig up your hedge to get at the pellets. I know people hate growmore, but at least nothing wants to eat it.
    We have loads of foxes here, but I've never had a problem with them digging up round hedging. Maybe I've just been fortunate.  :)

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,212
    You're lucky, @ Fairygirl. It's a fox magnet here! They love it.
    Maybe they're too busy eating other stuff - we're next to farmland/woodland @Posy.
    The blackbirds do more digging  ;)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,528
     I buy a 25Kg sack and spread BFB over all the veg and flower borders in early spring. We have loads of foxes here and I don't find them a problem with regard to the BFB.
    They may well eat some, but I don't notice.
    My dog has a nibble too.
    I think if you use it as directed and cover a large area it doesn't seem to be a problem.
    If you put a handful around the base of each plant, the foxes probably consider it a treat and that's when damage may occur.
    I also use chicken manure pellets on the lawn - no problems with that either.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.