Forum home Plants

Too late to plant alliums?

YessicaHaircutYessicaHaircut Sussex coastPosts: 103
My MIL has kindly sent me a pack of mixed allium bulbs. Is there any point in trying to plant them up now? If not are they likely to still be ok come Autumn and what's the best way to store them to give them the best chance of still being good at that stage?

• AthelasAthelas Posts: 570
    edited 9 January
    It’s not too late, you can plant them now as long as the ground isn’t frozen. They may flower a bit later. It’s better than potentially losing them to mould to wait until autumn.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1024187/could-you-plant-allium-bulbs-now
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,655
    I agree, plant them now. You could use pots if you want to see what's what, and then plant them in the ground later. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    I'd do as @AnniD says - in pots. Then you can place them where you want them if they grow. Storing them is pointless as they won't have  the chance to grow any foliage,  and therefore build themselves up for the following year. 
    They'll be viable as long as they haven't dried out or rotted/gone soft. They'll just flower later, or - depending on what varieties they are - it may be next year.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• YessicaHaircutYessicaHaircut Sussex coastPosts: 103
    Great news - thank you! I was planning on putting them in pots anyway, so I shall crack on and see if I can get that done today whilst we have some dry, sunny weather for a change.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    Nice gritty mix for them, although if it isn't too wet regularly where you are, just ordinary compost would probably be fine. Raise the pots too if they're on hard standing, just to help drainage. If you get squirrels, it's worth putting some mesh or netting over the tops too.  If they're decorative pots and not just tucked away somewhere, I often use netting and tie it neatly with string - it looks less ugly that way  ;)
    Can you send some sun please? Sleety rain here again  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....