Forum home Problem solving

HELP I "weevily" need you!!

2»

• I get vine weevils in something or other every year; fortunately I keep chickens and they love eating the grubs so I empty the pots on a tarpaulin and let them get on with it.  Without the chickens I wouldn't risk trying to save any of the compost without at least sieving then soaking it as these creatures are incredibly difficult to spot and remove entirely.  As others have said, it is often possible to rescue plants, or parts of plants, after careful cleaning and soaking by taking the tops and rooting them in a small pot of fresh compost.  Succulents, heucheras and strawberries are frequent victims which are easy to root if the damage is not too bad.  It is always worth checking suceptible plants by reguarly tugging gently on the leaves...if at all loose suspect the worst.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,522
    If it makes you feel better, I went out this lunchtime to do some tidying up and one of the 6 heuchera I planted last year came away in my hand.  Then another.....then.....yeah ALL OF THEM!

I dug out the soil from where they had been and found hundreds of the little grubs.

The ones I brought here last April in pots are absolutely fine probably because of the grit.

So the lesson learned here is I cannot have heuchera in my front garden! :(
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,571
    I hope @Metapril returns to let us know how things turned out. Hopefully somethings were recoverable. 
  • Agree with TheGreenMan, a good  nch of grit topping the pot deters the adults from digging down to lay their eggs, never had a problem when I do this.
  • Standen1Standen1 Posts: 64
    Hi, on this theme of weevils ………I have a large deep veg trough, not had much luck at all this year apart from some cherry tomatoes which then got blight and a few carrots, - and when Iwent to remove the last of this years veg - a few parsnips and leeks that hadn’t grown well, I found an absolute infestation of weevils and caterpillars - this obviously explains the poor harvest this year! 😠😬☹️🙁 I have removed all remains of plants and roots from the compost and carefully went through removing dozens of grubs and any caterpillars that I could see. I have gone through the compost a few times now and yesterday I couldn’t find any. My questions are - A) should I be using anything to treat the compost (I see it is the wrong time of the year to use nemotides)? B) will it be safe to try growing anything in the compost later in the year if I keep checking it and it remains clear? and C) how can I prevent this happening again? 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,571
    I think it will be safe to reuse the compost although l'm not sure how much goodness will still be in it to be honest. The best thing would be to apply nematodes in the Spring and again in the Autumn,  in my opinion  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    If you're growing veg, you need to be aware of crop rotation too. Others can advise on that as I don't grow a lot of it. 
    Some compost can be re used - for the carrots for example, because they like poorer soil, but as @AnniD says, it will have no nourishment in it now, so you'd need to add that for other veg, depending on what you grow. Toms , for example, would need some fresh stuff to keep them healthy until feed is required when the first trusses set.

It's difficult to avoid the weevil problem once you have them, but Nematodes need the right conditions to work successfully.
    The thick layer of grit might help, but it's not so easy when you're growing a food crop and might be disturbing the soil more often. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Standen1Standen1 Posts: 64
    Thank you for your comments - I’ll try nemotides in Spring and in the meantime try and put some goodness back in.
    Have tried rotation however very limited due to size of trough ( no space for veg beds ) and in fact last year replaced the compost completely when I replaced the leaky liner… also difficult when different veg need different soil types… also, have tried looking for advice and suggestions for growing veg in a trough but with little success as all advice seems to be for ‘proper’ veg patches but will keep trying!