Forum home Plants

Tall annuals for shade

Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 993
Having moved house recently there are bigger gaps in the garden fence than I had realised so being able to add some screening, at least for a chunk of the year, would be nice.

Until I decide what to plant there long term (if anything permanent), are there any tall annuals that might suit a north facing fence? 5-6ft would be ideal.

Cosmos purity would have fit the bill but suspect that's a non-starter facing north. Foxgloves would obviously work too but the dalmation ones that flower in their first year aren't that tall and I don't intend to buy foxgloves as plants.

Any other suggetions welcome of course.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,920
    Not an annual, but helianthus Lemon Queen might do quite well. It's tall and bright and does ok in some shade. 

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,543

Nicotiana Whisper & Nicotiana Only the Lonely 🙂
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,433
    Shame about the name @Beaus Mum. It would put me off buying it😐
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,543
    don’t let the name put you off @B3 as it is huge and smells gorgeous and flowers well into first frosts 😊
    I suppose I could lose the label but I have the earworm at the moment. Dum dum dum dummy doo wah. Oh yeah yeah yeah yah😞  @Beaus Mum 
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 993
    I've double checked the aspect with my phone compass as the fence is it an angle off the house, looks like it's facing NE so hopefully it might get some sun early doors- if the area surroundings allow.

Will things like Nicotiana definitely do well in what's still likely to be a lot of shade?

Helianthus Lemon Queen is something I've liked the look of in the past but wouldn't have thought if it for here given the name. Do you have experience of it in shade @Fire?

If it had the chance to get tall enough I could see it stealing some additional light.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,920
    Yes, I grew Lemon Queen in semi-shade, following recomms here on the forum. It was fine.
    My patio faces NNE. I can grow most plants,apart from those whose flowers only open in direct sunlight. Obviously some don't grow as well as they would in full sun, but they do ok. 
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 993
    Both good to know.

What are your limits then @B3? Other than obvious no-goes (I'd assume Mediterranean plants like lavender, herbs etc.) have you tried things like salvias, dahlias etc.?
    edited 8 January
    Dahlias are ok, fuchsia are good. Marguerites, petunias, calendula thunbergia, geraniums are all things I've grown to name those I can think of.
    Bear in mind that NE and NNE will get a bit of sunshine part of the day midsummer and this is important. If they are in full shade, that's a different matter. Then it's hostas and ferns that I put in the bit that gets no sun but isn't dark.
    The no nos would be gazania or osteospermum type plants whose petals only open in the sun
    I wouldn't try lavender or basil but mint and parsley wouldn't mind. I seem to remember that tarragon did ok too.