Forum home Problem solving

Are slugs eating my violas?

I planted some pretty red & gold violas a few weeks ago & now they look like this! No flowers! I did dead head them as the flowers finished but now there’s no new buds & they look a bit chewed??? 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,952
    Probably. Woodlice eat the flowers, too.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,380
    Yes - they're slug magnets unfortunately.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,115
    They don't normally go for my viola / pansy's but yours have black spot, it is weakening the plant which makes them even more prone to attack . They call them winter pansy/ viola but really they are spring ones that's when they really get going,  they always look a tad sad at this time of year. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,966
    They're certainly eating mine
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,163
    Mine are getting chomped, yes.
  • *Astrantia**Astrantia* Posts: 201
    ☹️ Shame as they did look pretty! I just wanted a bit of colour this time of year. I do live in slug city so not surprised, I noticed the black spots when I took the photo. Oh well they can stay where they are maybe they'll survive, If they don’t drown in the meantime with the constant rain!
    They're better if you pot them up. Easier to keep an eye on them, and you can minimise the access a bit more too. It's far too wet here to put them in the ground anywhere.

I have a shelf on the fence near my kitchen window, and that's the only place I grow them, if I bother at all. I keep various things on it from sempervivums to dianthus to heucheras. Some spring bulbs too. 
    Slugs will still climb, but it's easier to manage   :)

• *Astrantia**Astrantia* Posts: 201
    edited 8 January
    I’ve put some different ones on a shelf by my front door so far they are ok, blue and from a farm shop not the garden centre.

They were on an outside shelf in the full weather where I bought them from but the garden centre ones, although outside, were under cover so I wonder if they were still really too tender to plant out?

The farm shop ones were cheaper too! 
    Certainly - some will have been grown in more protected conditions, so they need a little acclimatising, but pansies and violas are hardy, so it's only if they've been cossetted that you need to take a little care with them for a few days before planting them out at this time of year.  :)
    Many of the ones in GCs will have been grown undercover right from the start.

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 777
    They are eating or should say eaten my Blue Owl seedlings that are in the greenhouse too. Grrrr