Forum home Plants

Heavy rain & container plants

HenryPHenryP Cornwall Posts: 23
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations regarding how to protect plants when conditions get wet (I'm based on Cornwall and it's been raining 24/7!)

I have some young blueberry and mock orange plants in containers and I'm worried the roots are getting soaked - I saw somewhere that they can be stored in a shed to protect from the wet, although obviously this would mean no light... any help would be amazing!

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,384
    Just make sure that your containers have drain holes and let gravity do the rest.
  • HenryPHenryP Cornwall Posts: 23
    @steephill perfect, thank you! :smiley:
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,384
    Blueberries like moist conditions so remember to keep it well watered when summer does eventually arrive.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    Yes - if they have the right growing medium, and adequate drainage holes, it's not a problem at all.  :)
    Sometimes holes get clogged up, so having suitable material to prevent that will also help. Old bits of broken pots [crocks] are ideal. Placed over the holes [curved pieces are best] they prevent the soil getting into the drainage holes, but it allows excess water through. Put them with the convex side uppermost. 
    If they're on a hard surface, getting the containers up on feet helps too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• HenryPHenryP Cornwall Posts: 23
    @Fairygirl thank you so much for the ideas! 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,115
    Make sure none of the containers is in saucers or outer pots so everything can drain freely.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    No probs @HenryP.
    Good luck with your plants, and just keep in mind what @steephill says about drier weather and watering for your blueberries   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....