Forum home Plants

Can anybody identify this creeper? I've not had much luck tracking it down

Afternoon All,

Finally clearing a long forgotton corner of the garden and found it's been mostly taken over by a creeper. It's probably covering around 15-18 square meters at the moment, so clearly very happy and aggressive.

I wanted to learn more about it but didn't have much luck in tracking down what it is, thus if anybody is able to point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,587
    rubus tricolor. BEWARE, it gets carried away with itself
    Devon.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,698
    Ditto from me, from experience it's a thug.
  • wow, you're really quick! THANK YOU. I've been looking for a couple of hours withut success.

It's already very carried away, so needs some attention. It's quite vast :smile:

Relly appreciate your rapid and very helpful reply :)
    you're very welcome. 
    I'd remove it whilst you've got the chance.  ;)
    Devon.
  • My thoughts exactly. It's easier to get to this time of year before the Jungle returns in the Spring. It is very well established, so can see this taking a while. It will easily fill 2-3 Jumbo bags with the above ground stuff... It appears to have also spread significently under long grass that hasn't been cut in a couple of years and is heading for an alternate bed with a variety of fruit trees which I would rather it left alone. 

again, thank you for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Any removal tips beyond dig it out?
    My thoughts exactly. It's easier to get to this time of year before the Jungle returns in the Spring. It is very well established, so can see this taking a while. It will easily fill 2-3 Jumbo bags with the above ground stuff... It appears to have also spread significently under long grass that hasn't been cut in a couple of years and is heading for an alternate bed with a variety of fruit trees which I would rather it left alone. 

again, thank you for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Any removal tips beyond dig it out?
    be realistic. look at the bed and say " I'll do up to that bit today" then tackle another bit another day.
    Devon.