Forum home The potting shed

Cooking

UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 777
We don't seem to have a thread for cooking so here goes. I was given a bottle of mulled wine before Christmas but I don't like alcohol and I'm not going to drink it just because I was given it. I could give it away if all else fails, however, I wondered about cooking with it. I looked online for recipes and there are quite a few but thought I'd ask on here if anyone has cooked with it and if so do the spices that it contains overwhelm the other ingredients?

I'd welcome your thoughts and ideas, please.

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 777
    That one came up Fire, have you used mulled wine to make them and if so did the spices dominate?
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,159
    Trifle?
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,966
    Christmas pudding or mincemeat
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,163
    edited 7 January
    Uff said:
    That one came up Fire, have you used mulled wine to make them and if so did the spices dominate?

If the mulling is too strong you can mix other things in / dilute - orange juice, brandy... May be try a glass of the mull that you have and see what the spice mix is like.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,963
    We do have a recipes thread:-

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1033924/favourite-recipes/p1

I have a recipe for spiced plums which I cook in late summer and autumn when they're in season.   It involves dunking halved and stoned, firm but ripe plums in heated spiced wine and simmering for 10 minutes then leaving to cool.  Serve chilled with a vanilla cream terrine (Delia Smith) or a creamy rice pudding.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks all, some good ideas to start with. I've just got some chicken cooking, al la coq au vin using half a bottle of rose from Christmas so opened the mulled wine and put about half a glass into the pot too. Tried the mulled and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'll taste the chicken sauce when it's cooked and add more wine if needed. 
    Five and a half glasses to use up still.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,163
    I find the cinnamon in these spice mixes can v powerful and make things taste medicinal and odd - soups, stews and teas. It just needs the slightest hint.
    That's exactly what I was concerned about Fire and being the tight  careful person that I am I don't want to waste food.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,254
    Alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water so by the time you boil it during cooking there will be very little left. I would try it in something like a tagine or curry which has similar spicing.