Forum home Garden design

Rowan tree in the front of the garden?

Hello all

My partner is very keen on having a Rowan tree in the front garden. The garden is about 5.5m (width) by 3.5m (length). We would place the tree about 2 metres from the front wall of the house. I've tried to add a photo to show the space - see the yellow circle where it could go.

My hesitation is that the space is a bit limited to house a Rowan Tree, and as the cherry laurel grows, it would look a bit cramped. I also know that planting trees to close to houses is not a good idea in general (although my partner who has done some research thinks that the roots are not invasive and suitable for front gardens). She's already ordered a 9ft tree that is arriving soon! But I wonder if it might be better placed in the rear garden (although that space is also quite small, with the added complication of a sewer running through the garden!)

Any thoughts on this would be really appreciated!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,889
    Rowans have quite tidy roots, so the distance wouldn't be a problem at all. My sister has one right beside her front window - and I mean - right beside it ! It's been there about thirty years   ;)  
    The laurel is more of a problem as it will be a lot of competition for moisture - which rowans like.  
    If you're in an area that gets plenty of rainfall, it should be fine.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Which rowan species/cultivar did you order? Some get very big whilst others have very tight upward growth and fit in smaller spaces well.

One of our neighbours has a wild type growing righting the middle of their front garden and because it is inclined to grow quite large, it gets hacked back every year, meaning it looks awful and you get no berries. It's far better to plant one that will happily live in the space without intervention.
  • She has ordered a 9ft sorbus aucuparia rowan tree. 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,728
    They are lovely trees but can grow up to 6 metres high and 4 metres wide in 20 years.  Your limited root space should control the tree's growth though and you can do some judicious pruning to keep it in shape.  Birds and blackbirds in particular love the berries - they can be messy so bear that in mind if your car is nearby!  Enjoy your new tree.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,889
    The native rowan [that's what's ordered] is perfect and will be no problem whatsoever  :)
    You will have to pay enough attention to it though, for the reasons I mentioned earlier, ie watering. Prep the ground/planting area well too, stake it correctly, and then enjoy   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....