Forum home Plants

Best time to move/split Nerines?

DebLaycockDebLaycock Ringwood, Hampshire, UKPosts: 3
Hi, I have a number of Nerine clumps which look like they could do with splitting/moving.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to split/move and when.  Thank you. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,638
    Hello Deb, welcome to the forum  :)
    My neighbour had a massive clump of nerines that she divided last Spring (late March or early April if l remember correctly). 
    I don't grow them myself, but hopefully other forum members that do can give you more advice. 
  • Nerines love to grow in huge clumps of bulbs, piling up on top of each other's shoulders. So do yours really need dividing? 
    Replant in closely packed clumps in Spring. 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,705
    I didn't know that Joyce, thank you.
  • justflowersjustflowers Posts: 103
    I needed to move a clump of Nerines last year - I read that they hate being moved but went ahead as I needed the space they were in for something else, and they have settled well in their new position, no problem.  I moved them in Spring as previously suggested.  I would avoid dividing them though, as apparently they hate being divided even more than being moved - as Joyce said they like being in a crowd!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,266
    I dug mine up as they were getting shaded and not flowering well. Can't remember when but probably in the spring. Divided them and planted in 3 large pots. All survived and most flowered last year. I might well keep them in the pots.
  • DebLaycockDebLaycock Ringwood, Hampshire, UKPosts: 3
    Thanks everyone for advice.  I think I'll leave them as they are then, they are big groups and do flower really well.  I will just move one clump as I would like the space though!  I'm new to gardening and the web site, and loving it !  Thanks again.