Forum home Plants

staking delphiniums

berardeberarde Posts: 135
I've changed to the smaller varieties but I still have trouble with supports. I use 4 canes and tie string loosely around as they are meant to be able to have some give unlike tight string. They still tend to snap. I had some cheap garden obelisks and reduced them in height to about 4 feet. This supprted two of them succesfully. I am therefore looking for some decent obelisks again but they are all too high. Any ideas where I might get some and what do others do for staking?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    I use this company for supports. 
    https://www.plantsupports.co.uk/

The important thing with tall plants is to have them in early, and make sure they're suitable for the plant you have them around. I use some of the taller circular ones for lilies and peonies.
    Plants like Delphiniums often need individual stakes, especially if they don't have other planting around them to help with support.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• berardeberarde Posts: 135
    I priced them up at Harrod horticulture but they are £150 250, which is just too much, up to £30 is about right
    It would probably be worth just using a single cane for them - and much cheaper. Regularly tied in with soft string all the way up.
    It's often the best way with that kind of plant where you basically have a single flowering stem.  :)

by the way I never use amazon.
    I don't either  :)

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,736
    Fairygirl said:
    I use this company for supports. 
    https://www.plantsupports.co.uk/
    I use this company too.  I love the rusted look and they just disappear in the border. I don't think they are too expensive and once bought will last forever. 
    I have some of the single 'poles' with the ball top too. I use them for a small macropetala  clematis.
    It would be a bit pricy for lots of delphiniums though  ;)

• mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 217
    I bought 10 of these and bent them to shape as per MD's advice. https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/30026__Round_Steel_Bar_6mm_Diameter_x_6_0_6_1m_Grade_S275

They were  £1.90 each last year, £3 now but still would be a cost effective option. I wasn't sure about sizes etc and it gave me complete flexibity. I will say my OH did the shaping but it looked easy from my view as the 'manager' ;)
    Thank you Fairygirl, maybe the canes is simpler, cheaper and an obelisk unnecessary. Would it be cane of the same (or greater height) of the delphinium and tied tight to the cane, I do have 5 to 6 stems which would mean piercing the centre of the plant 
    An obelisk is really for climbers, as opposed to the peony supports etc, so it would never be very suitable for delphiniums.  :)
    Yes - you need a cane that would at least be around 2 thirds, to 3 quarters of the eventual height of the plant, for it to be worthwhile.  People use varying methods of tying in, but it's always better to tie the string securely to the cane, then loop round the plant leaving it a little bit of room for flexibility. Like many perennials, they also benefit from dividing every so often to keep them thriving. 
    Canes don't generally do much damage to roots, as long as you're careful.  :)