Forum home Plants

Help for moving ornamental cherry tree

Hi everyone. I’ve moved into a new house and there is an ornamental cherry tree that has been planted in a shady area. As a result it’s growth has been poor. I want to relocate it to an area where it will get full sun. I’m wondering when is best to move it. It’s a Prunus incisa ‘Kojo-No-Mai’ for reference. Any help will be gratefully received. 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,387
    How big is it?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,655
    If it's a new build l'm assuming it hasn't been in the ground very long (unless it's an ex show house).
    As @steephill says, a lot will depend on the size of it.
    If you have nothing to lose, now is probably a good time unless the soil is frozen. Just make sure to dig a bigger hole than you think you might need, better to fill in than have to keep moving it to dig more out. Preparation is the key  :)
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/types/trees/moving-trees-shrubs
  • Thanks for replying. It’s an old house so I can’t say for sure how long it’s been planted. The tree itself is 3ft. I’m in Scotland and the ground is currently frozen. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,655
    If the ground is frozen then l wouldn't attempt it at the moment. 3 feet is probably movable in terms of ease (comparatively speaking !) , but l think you might be better off waiting until mid March unless we get another incredibly mild spell. However l must be honest and say l don't know if the sap will have started to rise by then. Hopefully someone else can advise. 
    If there is no way you can keep it in its current location and increase the light levels then l would move it (conditions permitting) and see what happens. Good luck  :)
  • @AnniD thanks for your help. I’ll keep an eye on the weather for the next wee while and might get my chance!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    Yes - once there's a spell of wet weather rather than freezing, you can move it. The rain's already arrived here.
    Just take the usual measures - as big a root ball as possible, and have the new site well prepped first. That way, it'll barely notice being moved. A good clear area round it, if it's going in  a lawn, and a mulch to help keep weeds at bay. Less of a problem in a border  :)
    Depending on which part of Scotland you're in, you'll just need to make sure it doesn't get dried out for the next year or so. Not usually a problem if you're in the west, but last year's weather was totally out of the ordinary, so just be vigilant  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi @Fairygirl. We are in the East of Scotland. The rain has also arrived here though we wouldn’t be as wet as the West for the most part. Thank you for your advice. Very helpful and gratefully received.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    Yes - generally a bit drier over in the east.  Good luck with it @grainnebowe - hope it comes away well for you .  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....