Forum home Plants

Bulbs etc that I'm yet to plant...

KmehKmeh Posts: 130
I have a truckload of bulbs, tubers etc etc that I'm yet to plant. Its been one of those weeks, months,years   :blush: !

What am I wasting my time planting now...

Crocus
Snowdrops
Alliums
Anemone 
Ranunculas 

Any advice appreciated 

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,725
    I planted some tulips and alliums that have been nagging at me for a while now just last week.  I'm sure they'll be fine.  If you can get yours in the ground (or in pots) they will fare better than just lying about in their bags.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,608
    I was looking on the Homebase website this evening and saw some tulip bulbs in their sale at almost giveaway prices. I’ll check out the Stamford store tomorrow.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,292
    They'll be more wasted if you don't plant them.  :)
    They may not flower or come to much this year, but they'll not survive just being kept in a bag or similar. They'll either rot or shrivel up depending on how they're stored. 

There's often good bargains to be had at this time of year @BenCotto. Always worth the outlay if you get a few successes  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,624
    I agree, better to get them in the ground/pots ASAP. You've nothing to lose  :)
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,492
    I've resorted to using coffee cups from fast-food outlets to put the last of my bulbs in (I blame OH for the accumulation of that particular resource ;)).

The dregs of the remaining bulbs are already starting to look a bit 'dodgy' so better to plant them in something and get some benefit than throw them away in a few weeks time. Gives me some time to find a more permanent home for them :) 
    The coffee cups are excellent for things like sweet peas that need a deeper root run @Biglad .
    My younger daughter treats me to a coffee once a week when she's in getting something for herself after a day at the saltmines. They're sturdy enough for re using too. 

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,492
    I had been wondering how long they will last before falling apart and starting to decompose @Fairygirl

Good to know. Thanks :) 
    I expect it'll depend how long you have seeds/plants in them too. I don't tend to sow anything until March or so, and then they'd be planted out around May /June, so it might be different if you were sowing in autumn. 
    Having said that, I did sow some sweet peas in autumn a few years ago, and the cups were fine to re use. The lining means they're pretty waterproof for a good while - it's the card that falls apart more.  :)

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    @Kmeh I wouldn't plant the ranunculus outside now - best started in pots in a greenhouse/coldframe or on windowsill in an unheated room/shed etc. at this time of year.  If the anemones are blanda or a similar type, those would likely also do better if treated the same way.  All bulbs need to be planted or potted as soon as possible after they are received for the reasons @Fairygirl mentioned.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    In addition to that @BobTheGardener [which I'd agree with] I doubt if the crocus will still be viable if they've hanging around too long.
    They can dry out very quickly and wither away, so it's definitely a good idea to pot those up and keep them watered enough until you see if they come away. At least you can then see if they'll be ok to plant out where you want them.  :)