Forum home Plants

Tree shoots (I think) ID needed

Hi All, I’ve recently moved house with around an acre of young woodland / meadow. There are literally thousands of these shoots/saplings growing. Can anyone identify them? Note I have only been in since November, so haven’t seen them with leaves (except the black one hanging on for dear life).

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,357
    Hello @dannystupple and welcome to the forum 😊 

What sort of mature trees do you have growing around the place?  

If you’re not sure photos of them may help us …

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,701
    It looks like a poplar leaf to me dannystupple.
  • @Dovefromabove the previous owner planted various native species around 20yrs ago… lots of birch and oak, the odd ash, plus smaller trees such as hazel, holly, buckthorn (I think) plus lots of other berry-type trees. Identifying the rest is pushing it for me, as it’s winter and I’m fairly new to plant identification generally. Just concerned that I have a ‘problem’ on my hands with all
    this growth. They’re typically 1-2m in height. Thanks!
    I was thinking White Poplar too @Uff … they can sucker from the roots if there are mature ones around … but topping the meadows a couple of times a year used to sort it out when we had the smallholding. That and the sheep grazing them off of course. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• @Uff @Dovefromabove. After a quick google search you could be right. There are plenty of these trees in the general area where the growth is. Thanks a lot
    Glad to help 😊 They’re good trees for a boundary windbreak /screen. 

Just mow or strim around them two or three times a year to keep the suckering down … BUT when doing it make sure not to mow or strim too close to the trees you want to keep because damaging the bark can kill the trees, either outright or it can allow bacteria and rot to set in and kill them off slowly.