Forum home Problem solving

Slippery footpaths

markie6657markie6657 Alvechurch, WorcestershirePosts: 36
Morning all and a Happy New Year!

After all of the recent rain our footpaths have become very slippery due to algae, moss etc. Please can anyone suggest a product that would help eradicate it, thank you

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,046
    Stiff brush or pressure washer depending on how large an area you need to clean.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,083
    Monty suggests sprinkling sharp sand on the path then using a stiff brush or broom.

I use Patio Magic or Wet and Forget (best used in temps around 20c and on a dull day)
    Just spray it on and over the next couple of weeks the algae turns brown and gets washed away by rain - It lasts up to a year.
    If you use it around Sept/Oct it should keep the path clear of algae over winter.
    I do my paths and driveway in Spring and Autumn
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550
    edited 3 January
    We have a lot of stone patios and paths on our sloping garden. Over the years I’ve tried everything from power washers to chemicals of different kinds. All a lot of energy expenditure for a short term gain leading to a need to repeat the exercise a few weeks later.

I now keep one set of footwear by the door which I don during the winter months when the ground is damp and the stones are slippery. This footwear is equipped with these:

https://www.yaktrax.co.uk/product/yaktrax-walk/

No more slipping and sliding. No need to spend hours washing and brushing and hosing stuff down.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    They're good for icy pavements @pansyface . I recommended them to a friend who is very nervous when out [she walks stiffly which exacerbates the problem] especially when she takes her dogs out. 
    The only problem is that they can be expensive, and this is the time of year when they'll be at their dearest.  ;)
    The other alternative is micro spikes [readily available from any walking outlet] which are a step up from those. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 948
    It's a serious subject ... and I know I shouldn't be laughing ... but I can't help remembering the Still Game episode with Jack and Victor and the non-slip shoes.

It's a classic ... I'm still laughing and I know what comes next.

Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
    It's brilliant @Bee witched - I didn't even have to look. I watched it recently!  :D

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,656
    Thanks for that link @Fairygirl, I've just ordered some as I will probably have to do my daily walk in icy/snowy conditions soon (OH can no longer walk that far due to dodgy hip). I have osteoporosis so need to be careful.
    I think it was @pansyface that gave the link @Lizzie27, but you'll also find those in lots of walking outlets, just
    like the micro spikes.  :)
    I wouldn't use micro spikes unless there's a good covering of ice . They wouldn't be necessary on a layer of snow either, unless it was frozen solid. 

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,241
    It's a serious subject ... and I know I shouldn't be laughing ... but I can't help remembering the Still Game episode with Jack and Victor and the non-slip shoes.

It's a classic ... I'm still laughing and I know what comes next.

Bee x

Sorry, but I don't find this funny.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,435
    The only thing wrong with spikes on your shoes is that visitors to your garden won't have them. A good stiff brush is my answer.