Forum home Plants

Buying Privet Whips

1945crewood1945crewood Posts: 124
I'd like to plant a number of Privet whips but looking on Google, there are so many suppliers and all seem to offer different prices.

Can anyone please recommend a supplier of privet whips they have used and been happy with?
The evening sun touched gently on the eyes of Lucy Jordan.....
On the rooftop where she climbed when all the laughter grew to loud.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,887
    I bought mine from J. Parker. 
    I bought my Laurel from Scotplantsdirect,  they also sell Privet,  the benefits from buying from scotsplants is that they will have been grown tough, if they suit their climate they’ll suit most people’s.
    https://www.scotplantsdirect.co.uk/hedging/bare-root-hedge/privet-hedge-ligustrum/ovalifolium-green-hedge-60-90cm.html
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,195
    I always forget about them @Lyn - terrible really  ;)
    I've used Hopes Grove several times @1945crewood, and they're very good. I don't know what they have just now, so just have a look  :)
    https://www.hopesgrovenurseries.co.uk/

Hedges Direct is another supplier that many people use. 
    https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/

It's usually better to buy smaller specimens, and plant more densely too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• 1945crewood1945crewood Posts: 124
    Thanks for the help ladies, really appreciated.
    "ladies"
    That made me laugh @1945crewood  :D
    Very kind of you.

Good luck with your purchases. Privet's pretty easy on the whole. Likes moisture, so if you're getting them in spring, and you're in a drier area, make sure they're not short of water, but that goes for most new hedging anyway.  :)

Fairygirl said:
    Good luck with your purchases. Privet's pretty easy on the whole. Likes moisture, so if you're getting them in spring, and you're in a drier area, make sure they're not short of water, but that goes for most new hedging anyway.  :)
    I've been searching for the best time to plant the privet but, as usual with Google, there are so many different answers. You mention the spring, would that be a good time to plant the whips?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,887
    You can plant them anytime those places are selling them, they just dig them up and you plant as soon as you receive them. 
    Winter is a good time because they can get their roots settled in before the need to start shooting out  top growth.. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

As @Lyn says, whips bought bare root are planted when you get them, which is why they're sent from autumn until late winter or so. They establish better for that reason.

If you aren't able to plant them right away, you can just keep them under a  layer of soil or compost,  and stick them somewhere shady until you're ready.  :)

Brilliant, thank you both for all the help.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,155
    I've used Hedges Direct for hedging and they were good.  Also bought two lots of privet from an ebay seller called Beechwood Trees which were excellent quality and good price. I have no connection to either company. 
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,626
    We use Hedges Direct, very happy with the result.  Well done you for choosing Privet. It's been out of fashion for years, and not that many people plant it now. We love it.