Forum home The potting shed

New Projects

UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 778
Does anyone have any new projects planned for the coming year? Are you a prevaricator or a doer? 
Some of my new projects are a figment of my imagination because I like to plan but others do materialise. My first one is to replace this gate that leads to the oil tank and the potting/plant pot storage. I plan on making it higher to hide the junk. The second is to finish the galvanised tank outdoor table. 

I'll be collecting the wood on Wednesday when the woodyard opens. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,502
    My project for this year will be to get some control back in this garden,  I’m not sowing hundreds of seeds as I usually do,  but to try and tame the areas that have never had any attention.   Up until now I’ve called them wildlife areas,  that’s really just an excuse to leave certain areas to go wild,   But I think there comes a time when you can have too many wildlife areas so that’s this year’s project.

I will be sowing veg seeds and a few flowers but will concentrate more on getting the garden back in order.
    Well,  that’s the plan until I see some nice flower seeds.

@Uff  maybe we can keep the thread open and come back with our achievements a bit later.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,163
    edited 2 January
    My plan is to try and do less and nurture better what I already have. I think I have enough main planting in and enough self seeders doing their thing. I am happy with my structures and garden design, pretty much. There are climbers in to cover new-ish fences and roses covering my arches. I want to get on top of my slug infestation and have a low key gardening year. I always wish for swifts to nest. I hope the nesting wren returns. Something taking residence in my main nest boxes would be great.

The main community plot is doing well and should look after itself pretty well. I want to add a load of scabious, but that's pretty much it. Another three or four regular, excited vols would be great.

One wish I had in 2020 was do make a short film featuring the gardens in our garden group. I often think about it. Maybe it will happen this year... 🌱
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,502
    Similar thinking to me @Fire,  the garden is well stocked although there may be some spaces to fill in after early flowers have gone but I will put up with that for this year.

I made films of my garden a few years ago.
    Just iPad to you tube. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 689
    Simplification….. thé 10 double boxes on the terrace bails trades need complete over hall, so the plan is to have them all the same…. The raised planters will be a mic of flowers and veg like last year, but definitely less “ othe” pots everywhere…..

well that’s the plan but as usual I’ll believe it when I see it… I tend to get a bit carried away.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 778
    Lyn said:

@Uff  maybe we can keep the thread open and come back with our achievements a bit later.

I hope that is what will happen Lyn for several reasons firstly because it's nice to see what others are up to and then watch the progress. I'm hoping too that other members' projects will give me ideas and fill me with enthusiasm. It would be good to see successes and failures also. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,382
    I like a nice gate @Uff. I 've done three in this garden. I'm gate daft, me  :D
    I have a couple of small plans for this year. Adding to the dead hedge thingy, because I'm going to take down the pine tree at the back of the shed. It was never going to be a thing of beauty [ because it should never have been planted there to start with] or just left to it's own devices. I'll use all the branches for the dead hedge, or just stacked elsewhere behind shrubs etc. 
    I'm also going to a little narrow raised bed against the side of the back steps for my dianthus, rather than them being in pots. Not sure what that'll entail yet.  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 19,966
    No seeds this year unless they're the chuck and hope to see one or two grow to maturity type.
    Nurtured my tomatoes last year. Too many. Gave most plants away just before mine succumbed to blight. I might buy one GC tomato plant this year and I might not bother.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,524
    I've had to cut down my box hedging in one of my flower beds in the back garden. I've dug out 6 or 7 stumps so far but need to do the rest - another 12 maybe. Then I need to replenish the soil and fork it over and decide what to plant it in. It's a bit tricky as my rotary washing line has to overhang it (only place it can go as rest of garden is sloping) so nothing over 18" or so. Still thinking about what to do. I've been given Gift vouchers as Xmas presents for that very purpose so that's exciting.
  • 2000GTV2000GTV Martina Franca, Puglia, southern ItalyPosts: 55
    We are part way through a project, this being weeding and re-planting a long (approx. 35 metres), raised border (3m wide). We are making good progress, with about half planted (including 730 narcissi!) We have mulched as we have weeded which paid dividends. I purchased some shrubs but also moved some that I had in pots. 

Want to grow more veg too. I am out every day at the moment as the weather is fabulous.

Happy new projects everyone; hope they all come to fruition.       
    Love living in Italy but a Loiner at heart 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,524
    Gosh, that is a large project - makes me feel quite faint!