Forum home Problem solving

Privet Hedge

Hi a few months ago my privet hedge which is a couple of years old had all its leaves drooping. I gave them a really good watering and it sorted them out.  All has been fine since then, but yesterday I noticed that some of the plants have sections that have gone really yellow.  Some sections are yellowy brown. And then there is the odd bit where its few brown spots. Photos below; but is this a problem?  I cant imagine water is an issue as it has rained loads.

Thanks.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,059
    I've seen some similar-looking privets around here when out with my pooch recently.
    Whilst privet is mostly evergreen, they do sometimes loose some leaves over winter which is quite normal.
    So hopefully that's all it is
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    Nothing to worry about  :)
    They aren't actually evergreen, so leaf drop and discolouration is perfectly normal, especially in colder areas. You can cut that out if it still looks duff when you give it a trim next year. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Nothing to worry about  :)
    They aren't actually evergreen, so leaf drop and discolouration is perfectly normal, especially in colder areas. You can cut that out if it still looks duff when you give it a trim next year. 
    Pete.8 said:
    I've seen some similar-looking privets around here when out with my pooch recently.
    Whilst privet is mostly evergreen, they do sometimes loose some leaves over winter which is quite normal.
    So hopefully that's all it is
    Thanks for both your replies, that's reassuring :-)