Forum home Problem solving

Member profiles

UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,147
This isn't a problem as such but I couldn't see anywhere else to put it. 

When I joined the forum I filled in my details etc including my email address. When I went into it a day or two later to change a setting the email address was still there and I had no way of knowing if it became invisible if other members looked at my profile so I went for the option of making my profile private.

Yesterday I looked at the profile of a new member who I suspected was a spammer, I don't think it was actually, but the page opened to PRIVATE which felt somewhat unfriendly and forbidding. I assumed perhaps a discrete Private would show. My question is this, if I make my profile open to all, would my email address show? I suspect it won't but I want to be sure but I'd hate to be thought of as unfriendly. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    The email doesn't show except to yourself   :)
    I agree that it isn't clear though, and definitely should be addressed.

I've often wondered how some people get their profiles to be private, but I expect it might be something you have to do right at the start when signing up. I may have missed the option at the time, but I don't have much on mine so there would have been no need to make it private anyway. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 343
    Fairygirl said:
    The email doesn't show except to yourself   :)
    I agree that it isn't clear though, and definitely should be addressed.

I've often wondered how some people get their profiles to be private, but I expect it might be something you have to do right at the start when signing up. I may have missed the option at the time, but I don't have much on mine so there would have been no need to make it private anyway. 
    Just had a quick look and think it's here to change it to private, the ticking box at the top:

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,737
    A related question is why does the date of joining the forum show as November -1 ?
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,147
    Thank you I'll check that msqingxiao
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    I probably didn't see that at the time @msqingxiao  :)

I think that's another glitch @BenCotto. Been like that for yonks.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

When I go to edit my profile it comes up with this screenshot. My date of joining the forum is 17th October BenCotto

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,370
    It does make me wonder what is so important in a member's profile that they want to keep it private. (Not getting at you @Uff , l'm just curious :) ). 
    Must admit l don't look at mine very often , but it does give me a jolt when l see my email address. 
    I think I only look at new members when I wonder about spamming, having said that I like to know what new member's interests are and if they are the same as mine and once I'm satisfied with mine then I rarely look at it again AnniD because there isn't much that changes. 
    I have to admit though that I still feel a little concerned about making mine open because of the email address. 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,370
    If you look at my profile, or anyone else's @Uff, you won't see their email address,  you only see it on your own profile  :)
    Thank you all. Uff will faff with the profile tomorrow.