Forum home Garden design

Where to start?

Hello,
I recently had a row of conifers removed and a raised bed that took up half of the garden.
This is what I'm left with, a lot more usable space but I'm overlooked and the different fence heights.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do with the garden please in terms of design and adding a bit if privacy?
The garden is north facing and only gets sun at the end of the garden. I love plants but I'm not a gardener so low maintenance would be ideal too. Thanks 🙂

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    Hi @hel_bing. Unfortunately, the raised bed was probably there for a reason  :)
    I think you'll have to re-instate one. You have visible ground below the fence and gravel boards - presumably because the neighbouring garden[s] is/are higher. You'll need to stabilise that ground, and the easiest way is to have a retaining wall/raised bed. 
    It doesn't have to be of a great depth [front to back]   - a couple of feet will be sufficient, and would still leave plenty of level garden space . You could then have some simple hedging shrubs - plenty to choose from - which would be low maintenance. 
    Alternatively, you could make it a little wider and have a selection of shrubs, perennials, climbers and bulbs.
    You could also make the left hand section wider, and the back section narrower, and then  plant according to your likes and dislikes. There would still be room for climbers, and a selection of other plants. 
    The area that's left may not be great for grass, due to the aspect, but you could gravel it, and add a pocket or two of planting, or have a pond, a specimen tree, or similar.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you Fairygirl! Yes I definitely need to have a raised bed along the side and along part if the back. I was thinking sleepers, do you think they would do the job OK? 
    I'm sure they would be fine  :)

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,074
    I think the fence with the different heights will give the illusion that your garden is wider.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,159
    You could raise the apparent height of the fence panels by fixing trellis panels to them such that that the trellis stands proud at the top. Then plant Clematis and/or Honeysuckle, or Russian Vine if you're desperate for cover ;). And maybe a couple of small trees such as Malus or Amelanchier.
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,041
    I agree with B3 and VictorMeldrew, the different heights of the fencing do make the garden look bigger plus it gives the fencing character. I don't know what size trellis comes in but you could always make your own and add it to the top of the existing fence but following the fence line. That would give you some privacy until a shrub or tree grows to the job.

The bare bones of the garden or hard landscaping need to be the first job and this includes a raised bed. The plant choosing is the fun part.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,074
    Don't plant Russian vine FGS!!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thank you all! 😊 
    I disagree totally re the trellis.  :)
    I think there's several problems with it - firstly, assuming you're trying to 'level' it off,  all the sections would be different sizes, and would draw attention to the fence more . If not, and you're just adding trellis to the fence, what height would they be, bearing in mind the small height difference between the first and second panels?  Secondly - you can't attach something if it isn't your fence. Thirdly - there's also a height regulation re fences. Always best to check with the local council. That can cause a huge amount of bother with neighbours if a fence is suddenly a lot higher, as anyone who's been on this forum for any time, can testify to.  :)
    ...and no, not Russian Vine, unless you want to aggravate the neighbours even more  :D

A stepped fence [which is what's there] is a great way of dealing with an incline, and provides a backdrop to other planting which isn't intrusive.  :)

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,041
    It goes without saying that you can't attach something to a fence if you don't own it. My thought on trellis height would be about 16in.
    I agree with others, no Russian Vine if you don't want to annoy neighbours.