Forum home Plants

Olive tree re potting

Hi I have a very large olive tree in a pot sized 60cm width by 40cm height.
do I need to repot and if so what size will I need? 

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,960
    Yes.  The open ground would be an ideal spot.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• I want to keep this tree in a pot where it is so open ground not an option but thanks for reply?
    as I asked I want to know what size pot to repot it in?
  • Are any roots showing thru the drainage holes of the current pot ?  
    One way to estimate the size of pot needed would be to remove the tree and see what the rootball is like.  It does look somewhat top heavy but appears healthy from your pic.

I think @amancalledgeorge knows a thing or 2 about Olives so hopefully he may see this and be able to advise you  :)
  • Thank you that’s helpful I don’t think the roots are coming out of drainage holes but they are visible at the base of the trunk?
    I will await more replies. 
  • If there are roots now appearing above the level of the compost then I would suggest the roots are too congested ( and probably running around the pot ).
    As said, the only way is to decant and tease out the roots.  You could then estimate the size of a new pot allowing at least 3 or 4 inches around the sides, top and bottom.
    It may be that you will need to do this again in time.  Depends also on your location, climate, etc.
    However, see what other advice you get :)   
  • Thank you 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,496
    The only way to be sure is to have a look.
    Not an easy task, but I can't think of an alternative.
    As Monty said a while ago - once it's out of the pot, if you can see more roots than compost, then it needs repotting.
    If it does, then I'd agree with Philippa that a pot 3-4" larger all round would suit it and I'd use a John Innes No2 mix and mix in extra grit for drainage.
    It's a fine specimen you have there and it looks very healthy.

That said, I've seen similar sized specimens in g/c's in similar sized pots, so it may be happy as it is.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you both for advice I will think on and decide. More advice welcomed