Forum home Plants

New spider plant and small pot

My sister has kindly given me this spider plant for Christmas (see pics) but I think it is too large for the accompanying ceramic pot. The soil and plant sit above the rim of the pot when the plastic pot is placed inside, even with the rim cut down. She was advised by the person she bought it from that it could be removed from the plastic pot and placed directly in the ceramic pot but I wonder would it then drain properly as no holes in the ceramic pot? I still think the rootball would be too big. Presume I need to find another ceramic pot for the spider plant and a new plant for the gorgeous bee pot? Thanks in advance.

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,740
    I haven't seen a spider plant with such broad leaves before - that is lovely.  But I think you are going to need to repot it into a larger pot and find a larger ceramic, or other material, pot.  I have mine in a copper pot I found in a junk shop and the rim of the plastic pot does stick out over the top, but it is black and hardly shows.
    But I don't think there is any great hurry - houseplants don't grow as fast in the winter so if I were you I'd just keep it as it is for now.  And of course you are right - you do need drainage so you can't just put it in the bee pot.
  • didyw said:
    I haven't seen a spider plant with such broad leaves before - that is lovely.  But I think you are going to need to repot it into a larger pot and find a larger ceramic, or other material, pot.  I have mine in a copper pot I found in a junk shop and the rim of the plastic pot does stick out over the top, but it is black and hardly shows.
    But I don't think there is any great hurry - houseplants don't grow as fast in the winter so if I were you I'd just keep it as it is for now.  And of course you are right - you do need drainage so you can't just put it in the bee pot.
    Thank you for this response! I do really love both the plant and pot even if the plant has taken a bit of a battering from being transported too much over Xmas! Thanks also for advice about when to repot! :smile: 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,901
    That is a beautiful and unusual spider plant.  As suggested, buy yourself a nice slightly larger ceramic pot with holes in the bottom, and plant it up between now and spring when you find the perfect one.  Measure the current plastic pot, and size up an inch or two each direction.  When the babies get a bit larger, cut them off and pop them in a shallow glass of water to encourage roots to grow.. then pot them up and share with friends!  
    Utah, USA.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,228
    An excellent opportunity to acquire a smaller plant for the gorgeous bee pot?
  • That is a beautiful and unusual spider plant.  As suggested, buy yourself a nice slightly larger ceramic pot with holes in the bottom, and plant it up between now and spring when you find the perfect one.  Measure the current plastic pot, and size up an inch or two each direction.  When the babies get a bit larger, cut them off and pop them in a shallow glass of water to encourage roots to grow.. then pot them up and share with friends!  
    Thank you for the detailed advice. Also like the idea of how to propagate babies. Never done that before but sounds fun!
  • Posy said:
    Good idea! Any tips for something small?! It’s only 10cm wide. Either something that would suit a shady house windowsill or a sunny conservatory. 
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 276
    Posy said:
    Good idea! Any tips for something small?! It’s only 10cm wide. Either something that would suit a shady house windowsill or a sunny conservatory. 
    A small Echeveria succulent would sit lovely in it. Either use a plastic pot with drainage hole inside, or put some gravel at the bottom of the ceramic pot to help drainage. Succulents love sunny locations with direct sunlight. Water very sparingly though.
  • Posy said:
    A small Echeveria succulent would sit lovely in it. Either use a plastic pot with drainage hole inside, or put some gravel at the bottom of the ceramic pot to help drainage. Succulents love sunny locations with direct sunlight. Water very sparingly though.
    I have just looked them up and they are very pretty! I like the fact that apparently they thrive on neglect!