Forum home Plants

Hydrangeas

How hard do you cut back hydrangea I’ve cut mine back to six inches will it survive 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,359
    Probably, but too hard and too early, don't normally cut back until Spring.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,418
    It also depends on whereabouts you are. Unless you're in a very warm area, any new growth will be badly damaged - winter hasn't really started yet. It's been very mild in most areas for ages, apart from the odd bit of frost/ice/snow etc.  
    What kind of hydrangea is it?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I regularly pass a [very nice ] front garden which has several oak leaf hydrangeas [my favourite] and they've hacked them all back to the ankles. It reminded me of this thread.
    I hate to think how they'll react once the cold weather eventually sets in  :/ 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,623
    Never seen them on sale her @Fairygirl but  was gifted one at a recent plant swap.  It is being nurtured over winter till I decide it has survived winter and then where to plant it.  Definitely not pruning mopheads or paniculatas before spring.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    They take heat and drier soil conditions far better than the others too, so hopefully it'll do well for you @Obelixx :)
    I moved one of mine either last year or early this year [can't remember which ] and it's doing well again. They're pretty easy really. The autumn colour is the bonus, and the bark is nice too - flaky.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,623
    That's good to know @Fairygirl.   I have the others in north facing beds with a high wall behind them so they get plenty of any rainfall and only get sunshine between 9am and  midday in summer (zenith at 2pm here) but maybe I can try this one against a west facing wall but I'll grow it on in a pot first so it can cope better.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Here in 'sub-tropical' SW Wales (lower half of coastal Pembrokeshire) it's usually early-to-mid February before pruning the mopheads. Their giant blooms usually stand up to wind & rain & even the odd frost! *Certain 'spot' prunings occur when a nearby florist has a particular order (dried heads for spraying/ arrangements). BTW: the prunings root ridiculously easily & hence multiply the stock of 'gratis' presents to nearby chums! Enjoy!