Forum home The potting shed

Salvia Red hot lips

I have taken about 6 cuttings from my red hot lips Salvia in October and put them in water on my window sill. They all have taken and have good roots, but the plants itself looks a bit leggy. Can I pot my plants up and put them in an unheated greenhouse or do I pot them up and leave them inside in the warm, or do I leave them and just hope for the best in Spring? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,483
    I would pot them up and put them in the unheated greenhouse.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,645
    Me too. Just make sure you don't pot them up into too big pots. A 2 or 3 inch one (old school) will be fine.
    Keep a close eye on them and if the weather turns particularly cold, maybe put some fleece over them. "Hotlips" is one of the tougher shrubby salvias in my opinion. 
    Welcome to the forum by the way  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,464
    I agree with @Busy-Lizzie ... it's one of the hardier salvias :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I agree, but to be safe would pot them up now and put the small pots on the same window sill for a couple of weeks, which will reduce the shock to the roots of moving them from water to compost.  If the weather turns much colder by then (as is forecast), I would then 'harden them off' for a week or so, by putting them in the GH during the day and bringing back inside each night.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,116
    I have lots of salvia cuttings on a north facing window sill at the moment. They are getting leggy, but I just trim off the top growth and concentrate on building a decent root system. When the weather is warmer, and brighter, they will shoot away outside.