Forum home Plants

Planting seeds at Christmas

am going to sow some Cobaea seeds today- is there anything else planted at this time of year?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,000
    Do you have somewhere to grow them on if they germinate?  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,279
    Recommendation to sow Cobaea seeds March, April or May here 

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/cobaea-scandens/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

In the house in April for them here.  :)

• Did them in March last year- flowered very late- so going to experiment as per Arthur Parkinson’s advice and sow early- will keep them on a windowsill inside- 
    edited December 2021
    It's more about what your climate and conditions are like for planting and growing them on once they're outside.
    That's the bit that matters most  :)

They also get very big, very quickly inside once conditions suit them.

earlydaze said:
    Did them in March last year- flowered very late- so going to experiment as per Arthur Parkinson’s advice and sow early- will keep them on a windowsill inside- 
    How big were they in August?  

That’s how big they’ll be by the time it’s safe to plant them outside in late May/early June … have you got room in light enough conditions for plants that size … and think of the size of the pots they’ll need 😮

Unless his circumstances have changed Arthur Parkinson has stated that he buys most of his plants as plugs as he has no greenhouse to grow them in himself.  The plugs will indeed have been started off very early … in big commercial glasshouses. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• That’s useful to think about- thankfully can move to greenhouse when they get too big- here is link - https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXL4Q76qzhD/?utm_medium=copy_link but not sure it will work for everyone. I do like to try one or two experiments - think this will be mine this year
    edited December 2021
    Glad you have a greenhouse ... is it heated?  

My thoughts on the link to Arthur Parkinson's instagram is that 'in the New Year' does not necessarily mean the same as 'at New Year' ............... I think of 'in the New Year' as meaning '... some time in the first three months of the year' ... 

They don't start budding/flowering here until end of July/early August. :)
    That's why your own climate and conditions make a huge difference too. We're about 4 weeks later here than the south.
    Any seed sowing timing is a general guide, especially with plants that need protection. Hardy annuals or perennials are easier. 
    At least a heated greenhouse will help, but you could save the money spent on heating it by just sowing later  ;)

edited December 2021
    I agree with @Fairygirl ... however soon you get them going they don't flower until late summer/early autumn ... that's what they do ... and that's great because they fill the gap left by a lot of the other climbers like many erlier blooming clematis and roses ... and if the weather co-operates they'll carry on even into November.