Forum home Problem solving

Banksiae rose cutting

palledoropalledoro Florence italyPosts: 7
hi, I've taken in November one cutting from a lady banks rose and I've putted it in a bottle with water. 4 days ago a small root appeared but the 5 leaves that I left attached are becoming yellow. I'm wondering what's happening, any advice?
many thanks 
chiara

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,726
    Can we have a picture
  • palledoropalledoro Florence italyPosts: 7

The root

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,304
    edited December 2021
    I know it’s supposedly ‘evergreen’ but it does lose leaves and grow new ones … particularly if stressed. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,392
    It has roots so I would be inclined to plant it up in some compost. With any luck it will grow. If it does then it will grow new leaves in the spring.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,151
    I'm a big fan of Rosa banksii lutea and have grown several in various gardens where I've lived. It's my favourite rose; most recently I bought a new plant for my current garden.  I've found that cuttings root easily with this rose but the difficulty is in keeping them going as young plants, up to the planting out stage. My advice would be to allow the roots to develop a bit more before potting in a well drained potting mix and also take some more cuttings as insurance. 
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
    Hi,
    ive potted the cuttings in the soil, as you suggested. One cutting putted new growth and many roots that are already reaching the bottom of the "pot" the other one has rooted also but no new growth so far.
    the idea is to transfer them in the garden but I'm not sure when should I do it. 
    Here are the updates.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,304
    I would grow them on in individual pots in a sheltered spot in the garden, for a couple of years before planting them out in a border. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The top growth is directly related to the root growth. So until the root system has expanded sufficiently to sustain the top part of the plant, no new leaves will develop and some may even shed if you have left too many on the cutting. I suspect this is what’s happened here, so now that the smaller cutting does have some roots, plant it fairly deeply in compost and then be patient until you start to see new growth at the top. As Dovefromabove says, you’ll need to grow the cuttings on in pots for quite a while before they are sturdy enough to be planted out, so be prepared to pot them on into larger pots. I wouldn’t plant them in the garden myself until you reach around a 17cm pot diameter, and you’ll need to use deep pots to allow their roots to develop properly.