Forum home The potting shed

RIP Desmond Tutu

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,356
A truly good man

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-59793726  

He will be missed. 
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,438
    Just watching it on Breakfast. Lovely man, great courage and sense of humour.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,356
    I remember vividly the film of him just after he’d voted in an election for the first time … his overwhelming joyous laughter was so moving … I’m welling up now, just thinking of it. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 880
    Many people have not got a good word to say about religious leaders .... but this man was truly remarkable in every way.
    I was in South Arica when Mandela died and witnessed the outpouring of genuine grief.
    I expect it will be the same today.

RIP.
    Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,797
    My absolute hero for as long as I can remember. The world feels like a worse place without him in it. RIP Desmond Tutu.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,249
    Truly one of the greats, I agree @LG_ the world is a worse place without him.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • punkdoc said:
    True.  But on a more positive note, it's a better place for him having been in it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,356
    punkdoc said:
    True.  But on a more positive note, it's a better place for him having been in it.
    Much much much better.  An example to the world of how to forgive. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,726
    I thought he was always great fun, so much fizzing energy
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 6,418
    A man who was not afraid to speak out about wrongdoing whoever the perpetrators were.  As scathing about corruption in the black governments of South Africa as he was about their predecessors.