Forum home Plants

Christmas tree recycling

AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,679
I know we haven't reached the big day yet,  but l thought it might be handy to have a list of places that take (real) Christmas trees for recycling. 
This is a link to a charity in the Gloucestershire area that will take them in return for a donation (postcodes as shown).
https://www.longfield.org.uk/event/christmas-tree-recycling/

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,745
    Excellent idea AnniD. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    I recycle mine in the garden  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

How do people who live in cities dispose of their trees, do the council take them away?
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 537
    @Uff , I imagine it varies council by council but in my case ( not that I have ever needed to avail of this as I don't buy one , just 'dress' an indoor pot plant if I feel like having decorations)  the council rigs up  wire cage "bays" every few hundred yards for a week or two in Jan - no doorstep collection but you can drop your tree off in these bays to be collected.
    Kindness is always the right choice.
    Thanks Desi.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    edited December 2021
    You can recycle in your garden waste bin here, although now that an annual charge has been brought in for garden waste in my council area, it may be different from this year onwards. 

I'd expect many councils would do the same, although maybe not after reading @Desi_in_London's  post.

I just had a look to see what this year would be. 
    https://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/christmas-tree-uplift
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,801
    We (in a London borough, though each of the 32+1 have their own council with different waste management practices) can put it in our garden waste bin if we subscribe to that service, or take it to the dump, or there are extra Christmas tree collection hubs for a short period. Personally I cut off the branches and loosely stack them somewhere dryish until the needles all fall off. I then put the empty branches in the garden waste bin, use the needles as mulch on pots, and keep the trunk until it comes in handy.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Forester_PeteForester_Pete DevonPosts: 140
    Ours will be through the shredder and compost bin with the main stem on the firewood pile. But we usually also have the option of them being goat fodder....
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,225
    edited December 2021
    Our local hospice is charging £15 each to collect Christmas trees I believe they shred them and donate them to local allotments as mulch. 
    My allotment gets a load and it’s useful for paths etc or the floor of the greenhouse/ poly tunnel. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,679
    edited December 2021
    For anyone who is interested, here is a link

https://just-helping.org.uk/register-tree

You can input your postcode to see if there is a collection in your area. The money raised goes to local hospices  :)