Forum home Problem solving

Limp Spider plant

My spider plant was once thriving then suddenly one day the leaves started to yellow. I checked and saw roots coming out the bottom and it looked like it could be separated into two plants. So I split them and used fresh compost. It's not made much difference so I thought what do I do next? 

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,406
    edited December 2021
    How long has it been in fresh compost @lizzykincaide? The roots look healthy enough. 
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 346
    My spider plants' bottom leaves go yellow from time to time and I don't worry too much about it. Did look it up once and think it was said somewhere that it could be due to too much watering. 

I feel like spider plants can tolerate a lot, but I haven't found an ideal way to nurture a thriving plant yet... Mine produce a lot of babies but don't get very bushy.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,174
    Mine won't die! Still, it's starting to look a bit more interesting now that it's getting bigger. This one likes a lot of water.

• lizzykincaidelizzykincaide Croydon Posts: 88
    AnniD said:
    How long has it been in fresh compost @lizzykincaide? The roots look healthy enough. 
    It was about a month but leaves just kept turning yellow. I tried new compost a couple of days ago but didn't water it.
  • lizzykincaidelizzykincaide Croydon Posts: 88
    Uff said:
    Mine won't die! Still, it's starting to look a bit more interesting now that it's getting bigger. This one likes a lot of water.

Beautiful!
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,406
    Lots of information here - as @msqingxiao says the popular theory seems to be overwatering, but if the compost is drying out between watering then it may just be that you have been unlucky with that plant.
    https://www.ukhouseplants.com/plants/spider-plant-chlorophytum-comosum