Forum home The potting shed

Adverts - Which ones make you want to throw a brick through the tv screen?

ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,504
Almost too many to mention, but I’ll start with that daft eejit with the glut of turnips and his over 50s life Plan!

• Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 4,020
    All of them @Ergates, they're all as bad each other, tiresome and boring and a waste of my time to watch them...so I don't.
  • VictorMeldrewVictorMeldrew Peak District foothills, CheshirePosts: 446
    The BBC - advertising the same forthcoming programmes over & over & over - and then advertising the same programmes weeks later to view on on ****** i-Player  :#
    Every now and then I like to do as I'm told, just to confuse people
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 7,000
    edited December 2021
    One of the reasons I love my SKY box is that I now rarely have to watch 'live' TV.  Everything is recorded and watched later - even if it's only 5 minutes after the programme has started - including big sporting events. Means I can get them all to wait a couple on minutes if I need tea or the loo AND (biggest plus of all) I get to FF through the adverts.

I'm not sure I know many of the current adverts but all of the Over 50's Life Plan and Go Compare adverts have irritated the hell out of me for years.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,722
    Same here. Everything I watch on TV has been recorded, mainly so I can watch when I want to watch, so I rarely see adverts but the Go Compare adverts irritate the life out of me too. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,664
    all adverts which encourage gambling
    Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,736
    Most, some more than others.Daisy, Daisy, Daisy. Perfect,Perfect, Perfect. I do actually like the Lidl Christmas ads.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480
    edited December 2021
    I record most things and FF through the ads. There’s one or two ads that I like (one of the new perfume ads is quite striking but I couldn’t tell you which). 

I also hate and loathe gambling with a passion. When I’m in charge the only gambling that will be allowed is ‘on course’ at the races or similar events, and the football pools. That’s how it was when I was a child, and it worked then … all the gambling now just makes a few people very rich, a lot of people much poorer, exploits the unfortunate and, I suspect, aids the criminal money launderers. As I said, I loathe it with a passion. All the people involved should go and do something productive with their lives. 
    As I said, when I’m in charge (and it must be my turn soon) I shall ban it 😡 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,227
    It's not the adverts in themselves, it's the length. I'm a technophobe, so I only watch live tv - I just can't be doing with all those buttons - but I have almost given up on anything but BBC because the ad breaks are longer than the programmes.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,519
    The poorer the town, the more betting shops. They prey on the poor stealing their benefits in exchange for a few minutes of false hope.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,401
    I FFwrd as much as I can too. I mute that hideous one @Nanny Beach mentions for perfume. There's 2 of them. 

The best ads are the Irn Bru ones - much as I loathe the stuff. The original Snowman one was genius. 

Betting's just moved online  - ticking time bomb, and has been for years. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....