Forum home Problem solving

is this tit stressed by my garden mirror

I have a garden mirror with shutters, during the last 3 days a tit has been at the mirror for a lot of the day. He sometimes taps on the mirror and is always active hopping in the stems around it, fluttering up and down it. there is another tit usually nearby so I can't be sure that it is always the one and not the other. When tits nest in my neighbours bird box  tits taps around the entrance hole and I read that this is a mating gesture. At first I thought he was angry with the reflection so put the shutters across but as there was a gap he was getting inside. I have fully shut the shutters fully but for the last day he has been fluttering around in the same way. I'm not sure whether the mirror is stressing him when open, or he is now frustrated that he can't get to the mirror.
I'm not sure whether to be amused or upset
Thanks

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,084
    At this time of year some birds are looking for mates.
    It's likely the blue tit sees his reflection and thinks it's a rival and is trying to scare him off.
    I'd suggest keeping the mirror completely covered
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,080
    I agree with @Pete.8.  I have never been a fan of mirrors in gardens for this reason.  It's bad enough when you hear a thud as a blackbird flies into a window.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550
    edited December 2021
    Mirrors don’t occur in nature (other than in the form of an occasional, distorted reflection in a pool) so wild animals cannot react to what they see in them in a natural way.

For me, a mirror in a garden is always going to create confusion and tension in any wild animal that comes across it.

Personally, I’d remove it completely. Put it in the bathroom or some other place where it can do its normal job. 😕
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,509
    I agree ... he's trying to drive what he sees as a rival away from his territory.  This is particularly bad for him at this time of year as he's burning up energy he needs to keep warm, just at the time when he needs to be spending all his time either feeding or huddling up to keep warm. .  I would remove the mirror.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• berardeberarde Posts: 135
    Yes thought this was stress but the fact that tapping the entry holes in nest boxes is a mating come-on I thought it might upset him/her if I removed it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,509
    No ... that's a different behaviour. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550
    edited December 2021
    Our blue and great tits tap around the entrance hole of the empty next boxes in the very early spring.

I have always thought that they are testing the strength of the wood to see if the hole can or cannot be enlarged.

They wouldn’t want to invest time and energy in laying eggs if a predator was able to break in later and steal the eggs or chicks.

They do investigate several nest boxes before choosing the best one available.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,084
    Catching up on this thread - I glanced out of the window at my tit box on the pergola just now and saw a blue tit coming out :)
    There are several now checking it out  :)

I only cleaned it out a couple of days ago - and was a bit upset to find a fledgling that didn't make it :(
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,449
    Another vote for garden mirror removal
    Devon.
  • And another one here - really not worth the damage they can cause.