Forum home Problem solving

Storm damaged Lilac

The recent storm Barra has stripped ALL of the leaves from a young (about three foot high) Lilac (Syringa vulgaris) I planted earlier this year. I am very much a novice gardener (having retired last year) and would welcome any advice on whether or not our Lilac is likely to recover or if there is anything I should be doing to help it. Thanks in anticipation.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119
    Hi @nigewalker. That's a pity, but I wouldn't worry. Normally, shrubs would have very little foliage on them by this time of year, but in many areas, it's been so mild, that they've been later in losing their foliage.  :)
    Just check that it hasn't been dislodged by the weather - the root system is still establishing if it was only planted this year. If it seems a bit loose, just firm it back in with your foot. I had a mature, established shrub really uprooted earlier this year due to wind, and it was at 45 degrees, but it was fine once I firmed it back in. 
    Other than that, it should be fine. They're extremely hardy shrubs all over the UK.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,611
    I agree, lilac is deciduous so it would be dropping the leaves pretty soon anyway (my mature lilac is already more-or-less bare). As @Fairygirl says, make sure it's still firmly planted and it should leaf up in the spring.
  • Fairygirl said:
    Hi @nigewalker. That's a pity, but I wouldn't worry. Normally, shrubs would have very little foliage on them by this time of year, but in many areas, it's been so mild, that they've been later in losing their foliage.  :)
    Just check that it hasn't been dislodged by the weather - the root system is still establishing if it was only planted this year. If it seems a bit loose, just firm it back in with your foot. I had a mature, established shrub really uprooted earlier this year due to wind, and it was at 45 degrees, but it was fine once I firmed it back in. 
    Other than that, it should be fine. They're extremely hardy shrubs all over the UK.  :)

Thank you very much @Fairygirl
  • JennyJ said:
    I agree, lilac is deciduous so it would be dropping the leaves pretty soon anyway (my mature lilac is already more-or-less bare). As @Fairygirl says, make sure it's still firmly planted and it should leaf up in the spring.

Thank you very much @JennyJ