Forum home Plants

Agapanthus plugs

I planted some agapanthus plugs in a pot in September, I left them outside until it got cold then brought them in. I'm not sure where to keep them now? Is it best to keep them inside and if so where is best to store them?
Thanks

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,212
    Do you know if they are the evergreen sort or deciduous? The evergreens are more tender. If you have a greenhouse you could put them in there, a cold frame against a wall should also be ok but not a heated room or a conservatory that gets hot in the day and freezing at night.
    You don't say whereabouts you are, but if you get weather that is REALLY cold and it freezes inside the greenhouse/cold frame, you would do well to bring the pots into a frost-free place until it warms up a little.
  • Thanks for your response Posy. It says they are semi evergreen so I guess quite tender. I am in Bristol where it is quite warm at the moment for the time of year. I have a room which is unheated outside my back door which has the washing machine in, do you think this would be ok or otherwise a make shift cold frame but no door on there currently? 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,601
    edited December 2021
    I'd say they'd be fine in there, even without a door. 
    If the pipes on the washing machine don't freeze, neither will the agapanthus

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,220
    If they're just plugs, and only recently planted up, I wouldn't leave them outside. Even the hardier, deciduous ones, would struggle. 
    As @Posy says- the evergreen ones are less tough anyway.

Some protection would be beneficial until they're mature enough [whatever type they are] which won't be until later next year, when they'll have had a growing season behind them. The unheated room you have sounds ideal.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,212
    Yes, the unheated room will be fine. Give them as much light as you can.