Forum home Problem solving

Potting a Christmas Tree

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have just bought a Norway Spruce (100cm) from B&Q and re-potted it outside in a larger container. I've made extra holes in the bottom and put some weed control fabric over the holes to stop compost escaping. I've then used a small layer of stones to aid drainage and lots of John Innes No. 2 compost around the tree roots. I also used some fertiliser pellets.

Can anyone advise how often (and how much water) it needs to be watered in a pot outside please? Is a watering can with sprinkler OK to use or would a drip hose around the roots be better?

I have a moisture meter which shows a green 'moist' reading about 1-2 inches down the pot, but the top inch or so seems dry.

Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    I'd never need to water over winter, but it'll depend on your climate, and how much rain you get. It won't dry out as quickly in cooler temps anyway. 
    I wouldn't rely on those meters either - they tend to be very inconsistent and unreliable if the posts about them on this forum are to be believed. 
    It seems you've potted it up well, so it shouldn't mind being consistently watered, as long as excess can drain away. If it's on a hard surface, raise it up with feet of some kind.
    Watering should be done with a watering can [spout] or hose, in at the base, as you would with any plant. Pouring it over the top means most of it will be shed off by the canopy, and is therefore useless.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    I'd never need to water over winter, but it'll depend on your climate, and how much rain you get. It won't dry out as quickly in cooler temps anyway. 
    I wouldn't rely on those meters either - they tend to be very inconsistent and unreliable if the posts about them on this forum are to be believed. 
    It seems you've potted it up well, so it shouldn't mind being consistently watered, as long as excess can drain away. If it's on a hard surface, raise it up with feet of some kind.
    Watering should be done with a watering can [spout] or hose, in at the base, as you would with any plant. Pouring it over the top means most of it will be shed off by the canopy, and is therefore useless.  :)
    Thanks Fairygirl, I hadn't thought about raising the pot up as it's currently on paving slabs.
    It just ensures that it isn't sitting in permanently soggy conditions. 
    All fir trees need lots of moisture, but they don't like sitting in boggy soil.
    It's when weather warms up, and soil dries out, that they need more attention in pots. That's when you have to be more vigilant with regular watering  :)

• Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have just bought a Norway Spruce (100cm) from B&Q and re-potted it outside in a larger container. I've made extra holes in the bottom and put some weed control fabric over the holes to stop compost escaping. I've then used a small layer of stones to aid drainage and lots of John Innes No. 2 compost around the tree roots. I also used some fertiliser pellets.

Can anyone advise how often (and how much water) it needs to be watered in a pot outside please? Is a watering can with sprinkler OK to use or would a drip hose around the roots be better?

I have a moisture meter which shows a green 'moist' reading about 1-2 inches down the pot, but the top inch or so seems dry.

Thanks

• I wouldn't replant a Christmas tree until spring. I also bought it, but kept it on the street almost until Christmas and only recently brought it into the house. But since you have already transplanted, then moisten the lump immediately after transplanting well, and then water a little during the holidays. And after the holidays, take it out to a cool room
    The query was ten days ago, so a bit late @catrina.alistairrE10E4sl    :)

No idea what you mean about moistening the lump, and anything in a pot can be transplanted/repotted at any time, or planted unless ground is frozen. It's not being kept inside either   :)